I Forge Iron

Wilkinson Anvil's?

Jeff Lodge

I have a Wilkinson queens dudley anvil I inherited it from my grandfather I’m not sure of the weight but it’s around 115 pounds it’s very old I figure pre civil war mid 1800’s it’s a little beat up but it still will throw the hammer back up at you very lively as far as I know they were very good ancils

On 9/14/2010 at 7:21 AM, Jeff Lodge said:

I am going to look at an anvil this afternoon and the guy say's it has Wilkinson imprinted on the side and it weights about 100 lbs. Has anyone heard of these anvil's and if so are they cast iron? I don't have any pictures at this time, but it sounds like I can get some today and post them later.

E76C910D-248D-42B1-94DA-D40862739A94.thumb.jpeg.610a95360ad12ad652b33c4759c32bb9.jpeg

62EB8AF6-6EF7-49EC-B235-42CF52D3078C.jpeg

Edited by Mod30
posting over size photos

Pre Civil War is not very old for an anvil---unless you mean the English Civil War; Usually anvils don't get extra credit for age till before 1800.

Looks like you can see where the feet were welded to the body in that ast picture!   Treat it right and your grandchildren will be passing it on to their grandchildren...

Thomas thanks for the reply I actually have no certain date for how old this anvil really is I did notice yesterday that the feet did seem to be forge welded separately to the body there are some numbers stamped on the other side 4        0        19 seems to be what is marked hard to tell for sure there are no other markings on this anvil checked the bottom also will send a picture of the other side

9F41CC0C-E2C7-4A6B-B936-7A658B7BF558.jpeg

That would be the weight stamp in the CWT system: leftmost digit x 112 + middle digit x 28 (and can only be 0-3) + rightmost digit(s) (and can only be 0-27)

So I'm *guessing* the leftmost is really a 1 with damage making it  look like a 4;  the rightmost would be 10 or 19 most likely and weighing it on a bathroom scale will tell you which. (though old anvils are often a couple of pounds off modern calibrated scale weights)

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, 

I was checking our Anvil and got curious about its age and precedence. At my best I could find out the following info: 

Joshua wilkinson junior - Dudley and the number 2

I hope anybody could bring new data up.

Ps: This anvil is in Brazil :0

Cheers!

IMG-20200519-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20200519-WA0007.jpg

6 hours ago, Guilherme said:

This anvil is in Brazil

Welcome aboard... We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location in this thread. READ THIS FIRST

It is full of other tips to help in getting the best out of the forum.

• 2 months later...

So i am just trying to find any information on my wilkinson anvil. Not sure of an exact manufacturing date or any other information. I know its 153 lbs and made between 1830-1890ish. Not sure if the date is accurate. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance ☺ 

Also; it is extremely unlikely to get an EXACT date as no serial number (like some brands of anvils)  or date stamps (like William Foster or Fisher's and some other brands.)

Date makes little importance to an anvil as they are not considered old till 200+ years. (Exception: some brands switched manufacturing methods over time going from a multiple piece face plate to a sing piece face plate to a cast steel upper and so those changes will both be indicative of when it was made and considered a better anvil after such changes.)

• 10 months later...

1 0 12 is the weight in the CWT system: 

leftmost is hundred weights ==> 112#         so (1 x 112) = 112

middle is quarter hundred weights ==> 28# so (0 x 28) =   0

Rightmost is residual pounds                                   (12)  = 12

Anvil originally weighed 124 pounds but weight on a calibrated modern scale may differ a bit.  This will fit on a bathroom scale--- WEIGH IT!

How much is it worth?  I have a used Ford car; how much is it worth?  Depending on model and condition it could be scrap price (around US$200 where I live) to over a million US dollars!  So with the information given; if it is in the USA; then around 20 US cents a pound to US$5 a pound.  Now if you are in one of the other 100+ countries that participate in these forums on the World Wide Web the price will differ.  Shoot it can differ just depending on where in the USA you are!

• 1 year later...

Hey Hi Hello!

My father found an old anvil being used as a tarp weight in Nova Scotian harbor about 10 years ago. He knew that I like to hit hot steel so he asked how much they wanted for it and they gave it to him for free since they would rather it get used instead of rusting away in the ocean spray. I hadn't really put any effort into identifying it until yesterday evening but lo and behold it's a nice little 1-0-22 Wilkinson!  Very good shape in fact. I figured that I would post a few pictures for posterity. 

In addition I would like to offer a couple of my own pennies when it comes to the question of the age of anvils. The age of the anvil is important no matter what age it is. It may have no PRACTICAL importance or maybe it does depending on the anvil. However it definitely has HISTORICAL importance.  It is fun to try and date anvils. It is interesting. A lot of these anvils will be over 200 years old before too long. I see no reason not to be curious about these details. I'm sure that we can all agree that something that was made even 100 years ago is old even if it is still a practical thing. As I'm sure many elders would agree: old doesn't necessarily mean outdated. Be it an 1800's Wilkinson a modern Nimba or an unmarked medieval museum piece I think that it's important to keep track of an anvils age as best we can because, if nothing else, everyone likes a good story. 

Having said that I would like to ask if anyone has a copy of Anvils in America that they could reference for me about the approximate age of my anvil as I do not have a copy and can not afford the book at this time. Or any other reference material that anyone has to offer I would be overjoyed to hear about it!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Deb picked up spinning because her best friend who was dying of gave Deb, her wheel with the express command Deb use it and not turn it into a dust collector memorial. Well, as Deb started having yarn pile up one of her friends talked her into learning to knit. Deb had given it a try a few ties but hadn't applied herself.  I asked her why she didn't ask Mother. My Mother had been knitting since she was little, 7-8 maybe and she knitted all the time. Her needles sounded like a zipper being pulled slowly and she'd be carrying on a conversation, swapping puns with me, watching a game on TV, almost anything that didn't require hands. As soon as Mother learned Deb was learning to knit she started sending Deb patterns, old knitting books and lastly a large selection of experienced knitting needles. Some were the experienced knitting needles her Mother gave her to learn with and are at least 3 generations old now and have taught nieces, cousins the whole time.

The more scientific side of me says it's psychological but the side that says I wonder if and why not, says maybe. Deb started getting it and has turned into a pretty decent knitter for an casual practitioner. Deb's lent them to two other beginners and they got better fast and now they have a place of pride in a yarn shop that offers classes and has knitters sitting around most days. 

The shop owner and Deb are long time friends starting with the spinning guild and Mother's experience knitting needles have moved on to a school. 

So, I may think of an anvil as just a tool but they  may pick up experience, karma . . . something. It appears to work with knitting needles.

Frosty The Lucky.