I Forge Iron

Wilkinson Anvil's?

Jeff Lodge

I am going to look at an anvil this afternoon and the guy say's it has Wilkinson imprinted on the side and it weights about 100 lbs. Has anyone heard of these anvil's and if so are they cast iron? I don't have any pictures at this time, but it sounds like I can get some today and post them later.

Wilkinson Anvil's are of British manufacture. From "Anvils in America" Richard Postman notes that there were up to four (4) different Wilkinson companys/shops in the Dudley/Birmingham area making anvils. And at least two of these companies were exporting to the U.S.

I have a 225 lb'er stamped with 'Wilkinson' composed of a forged wrought iron body and horn, and a face of about 3/8 inch tool steel. Lines of the body are similar to a Peter Wright, with the horn being slimmer for its length.

Don Shears

If it's an old english wilkinson it will be WI body, Steel face.

In general anvils with the markings stamped in are not cast iron and anvils with the marking cast proud of the surface are cast iron.

There are a few cast steel anvils that may be an exception to this rule but the Swedish ones and the American Columbian have their markings stamped in or recessed and not standing proud of the surface.

If it's an old english wilkinson it will be WI body, Steel face.

In general anvils with the markings stamped in are not cast iron and anvils with the marking cast proud of the surface are cast iron.

There are a few cast steel anvils that may be an exception to this rule but the Swedish ones and the American Columbian have their markings stamped in or recessed and not standing proud of the surface.

Are there certain things I should be looking for to determine if the face is in good condition other than the dings, dents, cracks, or a way to see if the face has been repaired? I spoke to him this morning and he said the face looked to be in decent condition. He's looking to get 200$ for this anvil.

Well it's not perfect, but there are still some decent spots on the face a few chips up near the horn and it still has a good ring and rebound. He's going to take 150 for it... was going to have some pics but my camera batteries died so I hope to have some up Thursday

WHAT!?!?!?! You didn't bring it home with you!?!?!? $150.00 sounds like a deal. Charge up your phone for pics! Good for you.

I didn't get any of that... Let's see how a man's word stands in these days and times.

However, he did tell me he has two other anvils at his families farm that he can't lift, so I might have to go help him out and see what he has there. I think the use of my time and truck might be able to land me another deal on one of the two left.

True, I am kind of leary on this anvil. I guess I am having second thoughts about purchasing it really.

There are a few chips in the face about the size of a quarter near the horn, but there seems to be a lot of good spots left. The edges are a bit used up and there wasn't much of a sharp edge left. I guess Hardy tools can be used to fix that issue, but this being my first anvil I am not sure if I am getting a good deal or not :)

I guess worse case scenario is I buy it and fix it up at a later date.

The old blacksmithing books say that the first thing you need to do when buying a new anvil is to round off the edges as sharp edges can cause trouble---not only are they more prone to chipping they also are more prone to leaving cold shuts in your work.

What the heck do *you* need a sharp edge for?

I forged for over a decade before I had an anvil with sharper edges than that one and never missed them!

Well, it turns out the anvil weights in at 180lbs and sold for 150$ so 83 cents/pound. It should wourk out fine for what I need to start with. I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

I am going to look at an anvil this afternoon and the guy say's it has Wilkinson imprinted on the side and it weights about 100 lbs

hey, he was only off by 80%. :) What a deal!

It has seen a lot of use and some abuse but for what you paid I think you did OK. Take a flapper wheel and sand any sharp corners on any of the ships. There is still at least a couple centuries of work left in her. I have seen worse used by a very talented smith here in Texas and what he produces off his anvil would astound you, especially if you saw his anvil! Clean her up and do the light sanding I mentioned and GET TO HAVING FUN!!

Yeah, that is why I was a bit leery of buying it, but I figured well for the price its not all that bad and if I want in the future I can spend the time to restore the anvil by hard-facing it, but I imagine since this is really a starter anvil for me that it will suit me fine until I progress.

• 8 years later...

What more do you need to know, that's not posted in this thread? You are on the "best" website. A quick search as outlined in the link I gave in your other thread turned up this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wilkinson+anvil+"iforgeiron"+site:www.iforgeiron.com&client=firefox-b-1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirkornnffdAhVdIDQIHbISBaEQrQIoBDAAegQICBAN&biw=1138&bih=511