I Forge Iron

Glad I have insurance

J.A

As some of you may or may not have heard, Christchurch New Zealand just had a pretty strong earth quake. Just got to have a look at my workshop this morning man what a mess. Shelves had tipped most of their contents onto the floor, My flypress which i had just managed to get up onto its stand days before toppled into my mig welder, forge fell off its stand and my belt grinder is a complete write off. Han't had a chance to assess damage yet as our flat is probably condemned and were busy moving our belongings out. Very lucky the death toll is near non-existent. Long clean up ahead though.
gallery_2607_4_268968.jpg
gallery_2607_4_131562.jpg
gallery_2607_4_613244.jpg
gallery_2607_4_612486.jpg
gallery_2607_4_60440.jpg

Man, looks like my shop does now and we haven't had an earthquake here in...well I don't think we have EVER had one here.

Glad you're not hurt. Hope insureance works with you on this. Hey, one good thing, when you restart you can get things arranged the way you want at least...that is if you didn't already.

Glad there was no death toll in your shop!

Not sure why you want to clean up though, looks neater than my shop. Maybe if I had a screw press I'd want it standing up?

Seriously, glad you guys are doing well, been through enough earth quakes myself, I say things to lighten the mood doesn't mean I take em lightly.

Best to you, yours and all who are coping.

Frosty the Lucky.

I had some Baptist Church missionary acquaintances that had worked for five years in Haiti and they weren't at all surprised at all by the great lose of life there due to building failure. I also have acquaintance with Christian Church missionaries to Chile and they weren't surprised by how well they did in the earthquake there, fairly good building codes, but weak enforcement that caused the loss of life. Everyone I have talked to was totally surprised at how well NZ did with no loss of life. It tells you something about a society that takes it's building design and code enforcement serious. The health and safety of a nation rest on code enforcement. I was looking at the wall of the shop, CMU construction, and I didn't notice any cracks in the wall or any in the slab, I know I didn't see all of the room but that looks like it was well built and most of all well designed and inspected to conform to code. B)

Hey JA
Glad to hear that Christcurch came off with no lives lost. Hope everything goes OK over there with the rebuilding and the insurance etc. After having a quake here here in Newcastle of 5.5 in 1989 we still today have some buildings with scaffolding and props supporting the walls(thats down in Newcastle not here at work).