I Forge Iron

My forge is closer..

Small steps grasshopper..My forge is close (brake drum) just haven't had a lot of time. Patience on the other hand, I must say I suprised myself by not rushing out and spending a lot of money. I'm walking the tracks Friday with a former City Councialmen. He's an old neighbor, former Marine (I know, I know, ALWAYS A MARINE.lol) and I don't think we'll get into trouble..lol..He's a great guy, believes in the old ways, like I do. I'm going to try and find some spikes and maybe even some track, if we can lug it back to the truck that is..Only a small piece, big enough for an anvil. Any suggestions on size? Fried the ol lady's hair dryer on accident..lol..don't ask. Let's just say I learned what resistors are used for now..lol..

I will go ahead and say it. It's been talked about several times, recently, but be careful about picking anything up along the tracks. Scrap or not, it is still RR property, and you could land in some king size trouble. Check the local scrap yards and you may be able to find a solid chunk of steel to use for an anvil. Good luck.

I mentioned this just last night! Can't believe it needs repeating so soon. It is considered a terrorist act to be on the RR tracks or on the right-of-way of RR tracks...and they really don't give a rip who is with you, former Marine or not. There are easier ways of getting spikes and hunks of steel to beat on.

I will go ahead and say it. It's been talked about several times, recently, but be careful about picking anything up along the tracks. Scrap or not, it is still RR property, and you could land in some king size trouble. Check the local scrap yards and you may be able to find a solid chunk of steel to use for an anvil. Good luck.

Ok, when you say "scrap yard" you mean scrap cars or scrap metal, alluminum, etc? Because I don't think I can roam our local recycler. The only places I can walk around are "car" scrap yards. I'm not seeing a big enough fender (sacrasm, sorry) or hunk of steel to make an anvil. Maybe I can be enlightned then. Who knows I'll give it a tryo. I'll take my 2 year old girl tomorw and let her roam the junkyard with daddy..lol..Daddy, daughter day at the junkyard..lol..why not.

Good, I'm glad you caught the sarcasm..lol..But, I'll call the recycler tomorow and see if I can roam the yard. Or xxxx, I'll just go up there and tell them what I am looking for and maybe they can get it for me. I'm sure for insurance purposes, I won't be allowed. I will check though. If not, I'm kinda xxxxxx, I think.

The scrap yard in Wyandotte will let you roam the yard. He has good prices for what you pick out.

I did get a piece of steel for ya, just got to get it out of the plant now.
Tomorrow we are changing some RR tracks in the plant. I will see if I can get the welder to cut us a couple pieces.

I'll let you know.

Jeff

Thanks guys! I am leaving the iforge site though, or I should say I've been booted... I have been officialy booted (I think) for my language. Guess I have a poddy mouth or something, not exactly sure what the deal is but I am going to stop visiting here. Good luck, god bless, and happy smithing!

You were NOT booted.
The conversation was taken off line and you were directed to the site guide lines concerning inappropriate language. No cussing means no cussing. You were informed that your posts were being moderated for inappropriate language. This is the first moderated post. It was your choice to leave the site, you were not booted or banned as you suggested.

Some yards that won't let you in can still be accessed by bribing the owners/workers. Bringing in a dozen (or more) doughnuts to the office and explaining that you are looking for a large chunk of steel to use as an anvil can often work wonders---you still will probably not be allowed in but they might drag a couple of "possibles" over to the gate for you to choose from. (ah, try to explain what you are looking for---some yards "large" will be in the multi ton range...)

I made contact with a guy at our local rail yard. Really small yard. The guy hooked me up with an old coupler knuckle that works great as an anvil till I get a "real" one. In the case of the railroad, the old addage "Easier to ask forgiveness than permission." doesn't work. Go the permission route.
However I have found a stray spike or two maybe kinda near some tracks or something. ;)

I'll take my 2 year old girl tomorw and let her roam the junkyard with daddy..lol..Daddy, daughter day at the junkyard..lol..why not.

Very quick way to get the word "no" mentioned to you. Get a sitter. Show up in jeans and work boots, and have a set of gloves. Wear a plain shirt that doesn't look designer, and possibly have a pack of pop or barley pop with you.

After all this they may still say "no" Currently all the scrap yards in Ohio are closed to the public due to litigation and such.
Phil

Ask on craigslist. There are lots of semi-employed people who are willing to take the risk. They are caught scavenging the tracks all the time around here. $1000 fine for the first offense if you are a yuppie, free room and board if you are one of the above.

Even better, use craigslist to find garage sales. I went to a sale where a machinist was selling A-2 and S-7 precision ground stock for $1 per pound. He was willing to be bargained down, though :rolleyes: A bundle of repurposed bar, much better than RR spikes, for $2 at another sale. Would have cost near $20 at the steel store.

Do not go to sales which have the word "blacksmith" in the ad. Trust me on this one.

Ok, when you say "scrap yard" you mean scrap cars or scrap metal, alluminum, etc? Because I don't think I can roam our local recycler. The only places I can walk around are "car" scrap yards. I'm not seeing a big enough fender (sacrasm, sorry) or hunk of steel to make an anvil. Maybe I can be enlightned then. Who knows I'll give it a tryo. I'll take my 2 year old girl tomorw and let her roam the junkyard with daddy..lol..Daddy, daughter day at the junkyard..lol..why not.

3 good reasons why not. 1 Yard boss will not allow it. 2 DSS and or local law frowns on it. Worst of all you won't
find anything but she will spot everything leaving you to explain how your 2 yr old found it all. Bad enough bringing your spouse and being outdone. Consider your chain yanked.
Ken.

Well I have to get this approved before you guys can see it..Me and my DARN poddy mouth.. I did go to the scrapyard and they let me in. Man it was cool! A lot of useful steel. I managed to pick up the thin end of a forklifk tine (with a chain hole), most of the tubes to a ram (for bodywork) including the solid cylinder! Also some misc. pieces for whatever I might decide on doing. Lots of thanks guys, much appreciated!! Oh, and my forge is up and running now, brake drum..

3 good reasons why not. 1 Yard boss will not allow it. 2 DSS and or local law frowns on it. Worst of all you won't
find anything but she will spot everything leaving you to explain how your 2 yr old found it all. Bad enough bringing your spouse and being outdone. Consider your chain yanked.
Ken.

LOL..good point! didn't think of it that way..lol..