I Forge Iron

First Pair

I agree with fosterob. You should make your own tongs.

one way I found to make a quick and dirty pair of tongs, use two pieces of flat bar that are both the length you want your tongs to be. drill and rivet or bolt them just as you would for any other tongs. Then get the head of the tongs hot, put them in a vice and twist 90 degrees. This will not make a very good set of tongs, but it will make a usable set untill you can get better at making tongs. these tongs are good thoug.

in fact, while I only have about 7 different pair of tongs my pair made as i described are one of my favorite pair. second only to a pair of farriers tongs I found they have a large flat round head that seem to be perfect for my knives.

So, I started with $120.00 tong order from GS tongs. They are simple, cheep and a bit clunky- Made in US by the way.
I needed tongs to hold materials so I could make more tools.
My order was for 5 tongs :unsure: 1/4" round, 3/8" and 1/2" round bolt tongs and a 1/2" punch tongs and something else... ah memory, where did you go :rolleyes:
They are worth the money, Glen is great to work with and after tuning and drawing out the rains, the tongs are excellent!
I have since used them to make a few other "hofi" style tongs.... and a bit of scrap :o Ah, I mean art :P

Another question for the psychics amongst us.

What do you want the tongs for? Just in case you may want to hold something, look nice on a rack, "I am a blacksmith so I need tongs"

What is the first thing you are you going to make that needs tongs?

What shape of jaw will grip the section best?

Gas forge or solid fuel forge? (Longer reins needed for gas forges)

There are no Universal tongs, you want tongs that hold the work firmly that may fit more than one section (thats a bonus)

Tongs are easily made and easily adjustable. A Basic 'smithing technique

If you have money to throw away without targetting what you need as opposed to want, (they may well be worth the money), but unless you are a collector and they don't have to earn their cost, go ahead and purchase a variety, they may come in handy eventually, or not. Depends on your circumstances and the work you will be doing.

I liken it to purchasing a socket/wrench/screwdriver set, you only use a minor number of the ones in the set, but the others are there 'just in case'. (But I think they would not all be used)

Without knowing your skill level, I would suggest making projects first where you don't need tongs, then decide what tongs would be most advantageous in usage, then practice making your own. You don't need tongs to make tongs, and they improve with practice.

Personally my recommendations for anyone serious about 'smithing is to have at least one pair of scrolling tongs, better to have two pairs, and some bending forks. (These are my fingers for manipulating metal to shapes, pick up hot items, adjust scrolls, fit collars, but not for holding many items for forging with the exception probably of arrowheads or similar socketed items ) Then move on to other types of the tongs and tooling you NEED

It doesn't matter how many tools you have, it doesn't make you a better blacksmith, its determination to succeed and 'mind to hand' to convert ideas to a solid form that gives the expertise that counts.

Good luck in your endeavours in the world of hot metal.

If I were to buy a pair of tongs to get started with what type would you suggest?

I'd start with some inexpensive ones that were sized for 1/4" and 3/8" square stock. I got two sets for $10 each from the classes I attend through CBA. They are way better than the simple ones I made in one of the classes.

Square stock tongs are good for both round and square. 1/4" and 3/8" are sizes used for a lot of beginning lessons.

If I were to buy a pair of tongs to get started with what type would you suggest?

As you see you're going to get lots of different answers to this question.
There is nothing wrong with buying your tongs - some smiths make tools, and other smiths buy tools - one isn't necessarily better than the other. Plus it's a circular argument ...
"You should make your own tools." ... BUT ... "You need tools to make your own tools!"

I generally presume that beginner smiths are usually going to start off with either round stock or square stock for their first projects, usually in the size ranges from 1/4"- 1/2".

So based on that, I recommend v-bit bolt tongs as being the most versatile tongs for someone starting out - v-bits will hold both square stock AND round stock, where as round bits will only hold round stock securely. Bolt style tongs will allow you to hold onto pieces that have curves in them (which can pass through the loop).
For starting out I would recommend a pair of 3/8" v-bit tongs - if you are working with slightly larger metal (ie, 1/2" or 5/8") the tongs can be gently adjusted.

BUT ... I also recommend that once you have your tongs, then take the time to learn how to make your own (like others have suggested). Making tongs are great practice for all your fundamental skills - drawing out, curving, hammer control, hot cutting, forming, punching, etc. I recommend this site as a great step by step procedure for making your own bolt tongs. http://www.blksmth.c...ong_article.htm

Also don't forget that if you work with long enough pieces of steel - I would say anything longer than 14" - you don't really need to use tongs. Allow for a longer length if you are using a gas forge. Hope this helps.

post-4558-053697100 1281102513_thumb.gif

As you see you're going to get lots of different answers to this question.
There is nothing wrong with buying your tongs - some smiths make tools, and other smiths buy tools - one isn't necessarily better than the other. Plus it's a circular argument ...
"You should make your own tools." ... BUT ... "You need tools to make your own tools!"

I generally presume that beginner smiths are usually going to start off with either round stock or square stock for their first projects, usually in the size ranges from 1/4"- 1/2".

I agree entirely Sam, but it is a dangerous thing to presume. Always get the facts first, then you can make a considered decision.

To sum up my earlier response I was suggesting to get the tool for the job, and to do that it makes sense to know what you are going to need the tool to do and to fit.

I probably went over the top a bit, trying to illustrate a commonplace scenario that frequently occurs. A simple question does not always give enough information for a proper validated answer.

Nothing wrong with buying tongs or tools if you have confidence they will do the job you need them to do, especailly until you are more confident in your own abilities to produce a safe working tool by your own hand.

Whatever you do, use something with jaws that close parallel to the steel you want to hold. A point or line of contact will not give sufficient control. Never use Mole grips or any kind of locking device for normal forging; loosening the grip and changing position should be second nature.

Keep your eyes open for tongs at garage sales, auctions, etc. Nothing wrong with buying tongs just don't think more is better. Right is better.

There are some good tong making DVDs, tapes, etc. out there, I borrowed Bill Epps' tong making DVD from a friend and it pretty well tells you all you need to know for the basic tool.

Once you have the basics down customizing is easy.

While Sam doesn't like vise grips for anything they do have their place, they just don't take the place of a pair of well fitted tongs very well. I use a pair to hold a chisel, punch, etc. to keep my hand away from the hot steel.

Truth is though, there isn't a pair of tongs on earth that work as well as your hand so long as you're NOT holding the HOT part. Your hand provides many times better grip, feel and control than tongs you just need to work steel/iron long enough you don't burn yourself.

Frosty the Lucky.

Sometimes I must have my head in the wrong place, but you guys know point blank how to set me straight. I am not saying that it was a dumb question because that would only be if I had not asked. Thank you for the advice. I need to retire so I have more time to beat iron and than I can share this with the group.Right now still trying to set up forge inside so I can work at improving my skill level or give up never!
CRCF

I don't really like using tongs unless I have to,if you get my drift,but I have regretted not buying a pair of tongs that I saw at the BABA AGM mid nineties at Carlisle,Cumbria.I think it was Grant who was selling them along with his KA 75,but not sure.They would have looked nice hanging on the wall with a frame round them. :D

BTW, if you do buy tongs (and I have) I'll add my voice in suggesting Off-Center brand. Grant Sarver is a member of this board and he makes excellent tools that he backs with a lifetime guarantee He'll replace them even if they get run over by a truck!

I don't really like using tongs unless I have to,if you get my drift,but I have regretted not buying a pair of tongs that I saw at the BABA AGM mid nineties at Carlisle,Cumbria.I think it was Grant who was selling them along with his KA 75,but not sure.They would have looked nice hanging on the wall with a frame round them. :D

That was me all right, sure enjoyed that. From there I went to Newcastle and went to every industrial museum from there to London.

That was me all right, sure enjoyed that. From there I went to Newcastle and went to every industrial museum from there to London.

I remember thinking at time what a tight fisted lot we blacksmiths are. We all want the nice tools, but don't like paying for them. :rolleyes:
Mind you,I'm a bit older and wiser now and if I like it I ask the wife if I can have it :lol: :lol: