I Forge Iron

Leaving for Afghanistan

Monday I deploy for a year to Afghanistan as a gov contractor. My wife has falsely accused me of missing blacksmithing more than her to which I responded that one is a devotion and the other an addiction!! So I'll have to 'feed the need' vicariously through iforge. The motivation is paying off the house so I can retire and we can smith full-time and travel when we want... More later........Keith

I'm thinking if you're lucky you'll meet a smith in Afganistan and having something in common the next thing you'll be swapping lies, drinking beer and being buddies. B)

Best luck and God speed Keith.

Frosty the Lucky.

Why give up blacksmithing? A simple hole in the ground forge, a chunk of scrap to hammer on, some charcoal and a small bellows and you are good to go!

(when I spend a summer in Germany I managed to find an open air museum where the smith was happy to let me play a bit---actually he demanded I show him how to weld up a billet I had brought with me...)