I Forge Iron

2 years and still no anvil

Hello all

Ive been lurking here a while I finally decided to sign up. Well I have been looking for an anvil for two years in Mn and Ia now. I have found a few but they had two problems. 1 they were very expensive usually in the $4 per pound range and 2 they were in very very bad shape some were even cracked. Well I do not know how much longer I will keep my search up Iam getting very frustrated. I do not want to purchase a ASO. I have read about 110 pound russian cast steel anvils that seemed pretty good not great but pretty good. The problem is I cant find any of them either. Guess Iam venting a bit. Oh well I did manage to get a champion 400 blower for $50 that was a good deal. Hopefully things will go my way soon. There are many estate and farm auctions comming up maybe my luck will change. Anyways the site is great and I find inspiration and a lot on information on it all the time.

post-14210-082556900 1277131215_thumb.jp

Are you saying that you've been wanting to start smithing for two years, but your inability to find a traditional, London-pattern anvil in decent condition has prevented you from doing so?

No I use a sledge hammer head in a bucket of concrete at the moment but the want for a real london pattern anvil is great hehehe.

No I use a sledge hammer head in a bucket of concrete at the moment but the want for a real london pattern anvil is great hehehe.

OK, good. You know, in many parts of the world even today -- and throughout history -- that sledge hammer head would be considered a "real" anvil. Don't get hung up on the London pattern. I'd rather have a scrap anvil and a good vise than a London pattern alone.

I agree be patient and use what you have i looked for 2 years as well. Then when i went to sales i started asking other people at the sales and i had 4 with in a year i sold 2 and kept 2 and broke even with 2 anvils.

Bob

I agree be patient and use what you have i looked for 2 years as well. Then when i went to sales i started asking other people at the sales and i had 4 with in a year i sold 2 and kept 2 and broke even with 2 anvils.

Bob

Everyone is right - be patient (... I know that's not what you wanted to hear tongue.gif).

I made my first anvil from a 5"x5"x5" block of steel, real primitive but it worked.
I used that block anvil for 2 years before I got my first 100lb anvil - I still use it for my demo anvil.
The steel I used was mild steel and the anvil worked out to be 20lbs.

If you want tool steel, Old World Anvils sell 4" block anvils made of 4140 tool steel for $85.00. http://www.oldworldanvils.com/anvils/4x4.html

There are alternatives - a 4"x4" area is plenty of work space and you could grind each edge to a different radius.
Economical, portable, versatile ... think about it ...

Keep looking - it will come.

thank you all, I was given two leads by a member here and iam in contact with two people for two various anvils the one the ad says is 200 years old. I am very interested in that one. The ad only has a phone number with a request to contact after 9pm. I will call him tonight and ask him to mail me the pics, if it is not cracked I will buy it if the price is right. Hold thumbs for me lets see if i can get it.

Don't get hung up on HAVING to buy. If the anvil has bad edges or other major defect (not a deal breaker alone), the seller has a poor attitude, the anvil is too expensive for what it is, whatever, BE PREPARED TO WALK AWAY!

Your first anvil is very emotional, like your first car, your first boat, your first house...try to be collected and think instead of simply reacting.

Good luck.
Phil

I agree with DennisG ... make one. Why wait? Look in the "Show Me Your Anvil" string and you will see several ideas that have worked for a hard place to hit. I am making my third anvil thing while saving enought to buy a "real" anvil. Most blacksmiths will never have a real anvil ... they still make things every day. Most of what you need to build your own can be had for little or nothing.

Tim
;)

Do a search on IForgeIron for TPAAAT, (Thomas Powers Applied Anvil Acquisition Technique) and follow the directions given there.

I found an anvil in Columbia Heights, travel distance 10 miles, a 346 # Peter Wright in St. Paul, a 50# anvil in Elk River, travel distance 75 miles, an anvil in Foley Minn, and another in Fort Dodge, travel distance 100 miles. a 125 # Peter Wright in Cedar Falls, and a Mouse Hole in Des Moines, travel distance 150 miles

That is 7 anvils within 150 miles of your location.

In addition to what all the others have said, make the connection with the local organization. The Guild of Metalsmiths in Minnesota has its Fall Conference, The Madness, in September. That takes place a few miles south of Hastings, MN. On line it is metalsmith.org. Upper Midwest Blacksmithing Association is umbaonline.org. You will find people who are like minded, with skill levels varying from just learning which end of the hammer to pick up, to world class artists and craftsmen. There are lots of classes and other opportunities for learning. If you get to the Madness, bring a camera and a note pad, the conference gallery will provide inspiration to last a year, and perhaps that will reduce your frustration.

Best of luck in your search. If you get to the conference, say hello. I'm a short round guy with a white beard, and while there may be others of the sort, I think I am the only one with three
gold earring in the left ear,

DocJohnson

Hello all

I live in south central Minnesota and I am looking for an Anvil, I have the modest budget of $250 and was hoping perhaps someone on the forums is in my area with one for sale. Its a long shot but Ive been looking ofr one for a long time now. I thank you guys in advance for any help or advice you may give me.

I assume you have already posted a notice in the local feed store and talked with everyone in your local church, *especially* the older members! No hits when you put an add in the local paper? Have a placard in your car window saying anvil wanted?

You want to find the ones "hiding" out there and not the ones being sold for top dollar by a dealer!

Talking to *everyone* is the route to a great anvil at a reasonable price! My main shop anvil, 515# Fisher in *mint* condition, came from talking with a guy selling greasy car parts at the fleamarket that I wouldn't have dug out of the dumpster for free! But when he "howdy'd" me I told him I was hunting an anvil and it just so happened that his uncle had one and wanted to sell it---$350 and I was loading it into my pickup the same day!

I have flyers all around town, I have spoken about an anvil to each and every person I meet. Even if I think there is no way they will know of who has an anvil. No local feed store but I did post a flyer and ask at the local elevator.

I have flyers all around town, I have spoken about an anvil to each and every person I meet. Even if I think there is no way they will know of who has an anvil. No local feed store but I did post a flyer and ask at the local elevator.

Jay, you live in 170 years of farm country which was the edge of civilization then. Start hitting the estate sales and flea markets, have cash in hand (several large bills and many $5 and $10 bills). Look closely at old farms, maybe they have a few laying around. Become an American Picker of Anvils, you'll find one, immediately after that first it'll probably be raining anvils, that's what happens. I lucked out at a no-chance flea market a couple of weeks ago.