I Forge Iron

You know you've been forging when?

Colleen, That is a funny one for sure. Where we used to live most of the dads on school open house night were "professional" men, whatever that is and it sort of shut them up when they asked what I was and I would reply "blacksmith". They didn't shake hands with a fellow with one really black hand with a strong grip, afraid the dirt would rub off I guess. :lol:
I always had more interesting stuff to show than spread sheets or law books on share your parents occupation day. :P

You are so right about the share your parents days/nights. Trouble is that I think the days of me showing up at school with a fire and hot iron are over. I have to do a FULL risk assessment and submit it to the school before even turning up, not to mention the Child Safety course I have to complete. Its all in the insurance industry and the Australian habit of importing all the american hobbies, like suing each other. Still, the kids keep dropping in for an arvo of hammering but not through school.

On the days I used to pick the kids up at school(back when I had long hair)I used to just wait out by the car or bike but couldn`t help but notice all the "professional" parents used to congregate just inside the door and look my way alot while talking.
While waiting one day one of the "professionals" strode past on his way to the BMW when his kid stopped in front of me and just stared."something on your mind son?" I asked him.
He looked me in the eye(good for him) and said"I think you look like a girl!".
I walked over to him crouched down to his level and looked straight back at him before asking"What was that?".
He didn`t even flinch but I could see his dad shifting from foot to foot trying to coax him to the car.Once again he said "I think you look like a girl,and my Dad does too."
This sent his dad`s shifting about into overdrive and he started to call his son over to him.
I put my hand on the kid`s shoulder looked in the direction of his father and told him"Well boy,if you two think I look like a girl then your Mother must be REALLY,REALLY ugly.Now get to the car son." and steered him in that direction.
Gotta hand it to the little guy.He sure showed more class and nerve than his Dad that day.

"you can't get rid of the smell of burnt hair because it's the hairs in your nose that were singed by the dragon's breath"

Shoot last time I did a demo at a middle school *I* had the principle put it in writing that I could bring knives and swords onto school property to show.

Did a demo at the University yesterday; just showed up and set up in front of one of the buildings and had the class come out to watch. The Prof said she would rather beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission...Always good to have some profs on your side in a University town...

when you clean up reall well and nobody recognizes you anymore! when your hammer callosus get to be 1/4 in thick!When you can use your hand as sandpaper.. when you answer questions with HUH? cause you were working the power hammer too much without earplugs..

I worked well servicing for a short time when the oil boom was winding down and my wife would NOT allow the work clothes in the house.We had an old wringer washer outside just to wash the work clothes.
Some nights I`d come home so covered with carbon black I had to strip down,pour a can of motor oil over my head and rub it in to loosen the black up and then use up a 1/4 bottle of cheap dish washing soap getting the oil off before going in the house.
Most homes in the oilfield had at least one area outside,around back that had a mixing valve like a shower and a concrete or stone slab just for that purpose.

My wife never complained about washing the clothes with "that metal smell" after having to deal with the clothes that came from both the oil patch and the ones from the fish holds when we worked on the fishing boats.
Other professions may make clothes smellier or harder to clean but nothing tears them up as quick as metalworking,Not even roofing.
Roofing is tougher on shoes though. :(

When I was working in the deep Anadarko Basin, (OK), we had a time when they went to spray a load of pipe with corrosion inhibitor---in a 30 mph wind with lots of dust and didn't bother to tell us what they were doing or that our cars were downwind. Came out of my logging unit and one side of my old van is a nice sandy black as was my boss's yellow sports car!

We informed the company man that we were shutting down logging to work on our vehicles. Had to wash them with diesel and then with rig wash and with the sand it made a nice matte finish. No loss on my old phone van but my boss was a bit more than warm under the collar...

I have picked up an old stainless kitchen sink that I will be installing on the side of the shop extension and plumbing to use with a hose running through a solar heating unit and draining to a dry well so I can clean up a bit before getting into the house as my wife would prefer me not to use *her* kitchen sink to clean up in...

When you forget to eat another meal until it's too dark to see anything except by the light of the forge. :blink:B)

I used to take my smithing equipment to school, they never let me light the forge but I took copper to show the kids how it was done. I also took my turtles and tortoises to school, the kids loved them. The principle however thought that my metalsmithing talk was not appropriate for children headed to professional careers. There is absolutely no type of industrial arts education in our school district. Then she started asking me if I thought that turtles and tortoises were healthy for the children. Whenever I took the critters to school I always took cleaning supplies(soap, paper towels, disinfectant, spot carpet cleaner, hand sanitizer) and after the kids handled a turtle I had them all wash up in a sink. No one ever got sick. The middle school art teacher had me do a cold bronze casting demo for the art classes but the principle told me not to come again as industrial arts were not a part of the curriculum of the district. The high school biology teacher ask me in a couple of times but here again the principle thought the risk was too great for the students health. :rolleyes: