I Forge Iron

John Brooks anvil?

otisdog

Hi, new member here. Sorry for the massive necro on this thread but I was looking for info about my “new” anvil, and since its  John Brooks this looks like the right place.

the markings are almost worn off but its seems to be in great condition. My Dad, who gave it to me says its the best part of 200years old, tallying with the 1820s reference above. Can anyone shed any light on it for me?

659991F6-F3DF-48CF-8BF5-703610C73A37.jpeg

7389C0FA-DE7A-42FA-88EA-2401C666BD6B.jpeg

89BFC86E-9020-4F7E-975D-E03735420976.jpeg

FD7F846F-A6AD-4CB5-9ED7-9D7F212C1949.jpeg

2661574B-7E13-4D4A-B89A-8D1742D89F70.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mrkensei said:

new member here.

Welcome to IFI... I suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Your Brooks looks to be in excellent shape. Have you read about not doing any grinding or milling on the face? Where are you located? What did you want to know that wasn't covered in the previous post's?

I was hoping to get a better indivation of the age. It does aeem to be in surprisingly good shape for its age.

I was looking at restoring it, but ive read that just oiling it and putting it tonwork are the best ways to bring it back to life.

11 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome to IFI... I suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Your Brooks looks to be in excellent shape. Have you read about not doing any grinding or milling on the face? Where are you located? What did you want to know that wasn't covered in the previous post's?

Does not look like a 200 year old anvil to me due to it's configuration, (*old* anvils tend to have small sharp feet and small horns/heels and no pritchel---look for "colonial anvils" to see some examples); but 100+ I could see easily!  If the pritchel hole was drifted and not drilled it generally dates to after 1830.  We don't consider an anvil "old" till it gets to 200+ years.  I work on an 1828 William Foster at times.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My name is Derike, I'm from Nova Petrópolis/RS Brazil. I have this John Brooks, could you help me. It is cast steel or iron with steel square. How old would you be? Thanks

IMG_20220219_112832_223.jpg

IMG_20220219_112829_240.jpg

IMG_20220219_112823_670.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Resize photos, remove duplicates

Welcome from the Ozark mountains U.S.A. Sorry I can't help with the anvil, but other members will be along who can. Your Brooks looks like a very good anvil. How much does it weigh?

BTW: We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to add it in your profile.

Welcome aboard Derike, gad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with forum members living within visiting distance.

All your pictures are of the same side of the anvil, I'm pretty sure you didn't intend to send the last one more than once. Still dates are often on the opposite side of the maker's name and or logo, or on the feet under the horn. 

That is a beautiful anvil by the way in near pristine condition.

47 minutes ago, Derike said:

How old would you be?

Since you ask. I turned 70 last January.

I'm joking Derike, I know you're asking how old the anvil is but translation software makes mistakes all the time. So, if folk don't understand what you mean, remember the translation may be incorrect. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 21/02/2022 at 23:24, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Bem-vindo das montanhas de Ozark, EUA Desculpe, não posso ajudar com a bigorna, mas outros membros que puderem estarão junto. Seu Brooks parece uma bigorna muito boa. Quanto isso pesa?

BTW: Não lembraremos sua localização depois de sair desta postagem, daí a sugestão de adicioná-la ao seu perfil.

100kg

On 21/02/2022 at 23:39, Frosty said:

Bem-vindo a bordo Derike, prazer em tê-lo. Se você colocar sua localização geral no cabeçalho, terá uma chance muito maior de se encontrar com os membros do fórum que moram a uma curta distância.

Todas as suas fotos são do mesmo lado da bigorna, tenho certeza que você não pretendia enviar a última mais de uma vez. As datas fixas geralmente estão no lado oposto do nome e/ou logotipo do fabricante, ou nos pés sob a buzina. 

Essa é uma bela bigorna por sinal em estado quase impecável.

Já que você pergunta. Fiz 70 anos em janeiro passado.

Estou brincando Derike, eu sei que você está perguntando quantos anos tem a bigorna, mas o software de tradução comete erros o tempo todo. Então, se as pessoas não entenderem o que você quer dizer, lembre-se que a tradução pode estar incorreta. 

Gelado O Sortudo.

Muito obrigado, desculpe pela tradução errada.

Obrigado

• 1 year later...

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

The 2-2-2 is the weight as when it was made in English hundred weight. The first number is 112X2 second number 28X2 (can't be over 3) third number is actual in pounds.

So the first 2=224 second 2=56 third 2=2 for a total of 282 pounds more or less. If you post some pictures and where in the world you are located may will help with whatever else you want to know.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus