I Forge Iron

Old Style Padlocks

well how old time? there are some threads earlier that showed viking era and roman era locks ... i have taken a class on makeing a padlock from Peter Ross of williamsburg . it was a copy of one from 1790-1810 era . i might be able to copy class notes for you . will take time to find them tho . if you have the book proffesional smithing by donald streeter the arangement is similar . it might help .
good luck!

I was going to say Elmer Roush as well! I got to watch him make a lock at a demo this year! He is first rate and answered all my questions. I would suggest you email or give him a ring and ask him if he has some diagrams. He makes locks from Vikings taking over Dublin and on up. (Not shure of the exact era) Anyway, he's handled the originals as a journeyman and really knows what he's doing.
He even let me take picts of one of his easiest locks and I made nearly the whole thing. (Haven't finished it though)
(P.S. using my name if you call or email will probably not assist you! LOL)
Dave

I found my book its called The Spruce Forge Manual of Locksmithing , A Blacksmith guide to simple lock mechanism
by bill Morrison and Denis Frechette
isbn 0-615-11822-4.
I ordered my copy from
Nation Builder Books
P O box 253 Leesberg Va.
800 450 5808
web site www.NBBoks.com
email is akw@nbbooks.com
the book shows a number of locks and how to make them with patterns and special tooling

Edited by jimbob

CurlyGeorge, I'm one of the fulltime locksmiths at the largest lockshop in our region, and my boss has been a locksmith for 27 years. I know he has an antique collection of his own (as do I), and I think he might have a couple old padlocks dating back to the 1880's. I'll have to check with him, but I can see if he has any exploded view diagrams or perhaps him and I can sit down and sketch one out for you. It really shouldn't be too difficult - older padlocks varied in design but they were all fairly simple owing to manufacturing limitations, limited types of metal available, and wider statutes of tolerances. I'll see what I can find out.

Black powder rendevous suppliers sell riveted togeterh padlocks in at least 6 different sized
The small ones sell for less than $10
They are imported from pakastain or india or somewhere over there.
Might get one of those and cut the rivets to take it apart
I have seen a couple of demonstrators make handcuffs leg irons that screw together.
They used round tubing with an all thread cuppler soldered inside, then used a allen cap screw as the threaded fastener.
Roger Lorrence, Bellflower IL was one of the demonstrators.