I Forge Iron

First projects

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished a large s-hook. Going to make some shorter ones to give as Christmas gifts. Still looking for a good finish. I've used beeswax but my question is....When you wipe it down after sealing, does the beeswax still coat or am I wiping it off? Dumb question I know. Who else but me would know if I am wiping it off. Does the wax permeate the metal or just the outside? Picture is of the hook painted, but I didnt like the finished look. Too store-bought. Also is a leaf letter opener.

19557.attach

19558.attach

19559.attach

Well done, good work all round.

I really like the tongs and the fire poker.

My only syggestion is for the hold fast, try making the shank longer and the curved holding arm a little shorter, though that one is actually probably just fine. What holds the work is friction between the shank and the pritchel hole so it helps if the shank extends below the bottom of the heal. If the arm is long and gently curved it can allow it to spring while you're working with it and that can let it come loose.

However, if your holdfast does what you want, the way you want it to, don't change a thing.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty
Spelling. Great White . . . Birch attack, remember?