I Forge Iron

Fire scale is a kissing cousin to rust. Both are iron oxides, slightly different chemical formulae.

When the orange hot steel comes in contact with the oxygen in the air, the scale forms. If your gas forge is running lean/oxidizing (less gas) more scale is formed. If the gas forge is running rich (more gas) less scale will form.

In the coal forge, if you push your steel down towards the bottom of the fire pot, you will get more scale as the oxygen at the bottom of the fire pot has not yet been consumed by the burning coke.

• 2 weeks later...

brushing your piec does remove but doesnot reduce scaling...the reason you want rid of it is it is harder than the metal you are bangin therefore when its hot and you smack the metal the scale can imbed it self in the steel ...not to mention how it will dent your anvil so you should brush the piece and wipe the anvil after every heat

Anybody try fastening a wire brush to the anvil stand? The thought leaped out at Nuge's comment about switching tools. I can only think of minor reasons to not do so, such as brushing your leg or not being able to be vigorous enough with a large iron. Controlling the hot iron seems the only dangerous part...

I have noticed that the first few taps drop a pile of scale and I am tending to tap on one end of the anvil and work on the other because of it. I keep forgetting that I have a wire brush on the stump ready to pick up till I am reheating. Then I brush off my anvil.

Phil

The switching of tools and the time/heat lost doing so is certainly a drawback.

The brush attached to the anvil stand sounds worth attempting. How about two brushes with a spring to create some pressure on the piece as it passes between them....

I am knew to this, but what scale I do get, usually comes right off with the first smack. I guess the law of averages ensures that at some point I am gonna end up with scale sticking outta my project when all finished. But, what I do know is that if you are trying to forge weld, you deffinitely need to get off the scale. It makes welding a living hell if you don't get it off.

Mutt

I got in the habit of smacking the hot iron against the side of the anvil, before placing it on the anvil and striking, surprised no one else mentioned this method, most of the scale falls off. Even if I am using my power hammer, I smack the side of the anvil with the hot steel.