I Forge Iron

Tanker's bar ?

If it is military it has an item number. If it has an item number it has a specification.
If it has a specification it is public information because people have to be able to bid on it.
So there is a way to find out exactly. I don't think I am clever enough to dig it out my self but maybe someone else can.

During Desert Shield/Storm, I was walking perimeter guard one night. We were under strict noise and light discipline (no noise, no light). Suddenly there was a blood curdling scream from across the bivouac site. The next morning we found out that one of the tankers to whom we were attached was breaking track on an M-1. Something happened and the tanker's bar broke the poor guy's nose. :(

They seem to be nearly indestructible. We've got one or two around the mill where I work. One's handle is slightly bent, but it works hard every day and never gives in. Would love to get my hands on one and see what I could make out of it.

Pete, do those bars by any chance, look like the picture here? I tried like heck to find a pic (too lazy to shoot mine LOL) but ended up just drawing it :) mine is about 60". I was told it was a railroad bar or "pinch" bar(??) dunno what its really called but it is truly one tough bar!! I agree w/ Thomas; probably medium C. I believe its shape negates the need for higher carbon content.

16711.attach

The ones I remember from back in 78 when I got out were 60 in long or there abouts. 1 1/2 in square with a round tapering end opposite the business end. I was in 4/63rd armor Ft Riley KS. Those bars did get used and abused a bunch.

Drifter

i didn't know thats what they were called. I work for a huge steel company, and all the tractor trailers have three or for of them for "barring" steel off the truck. We use them to move two ton bundles of steel to the edge of the trailer and roll them off the side of the truck. They are so strong, we even use the bars to "ride out" the bundles. When the rebar is at the side of the trailer we pry it off, and stick the bar under the bundle and put our weight on it so the rebar slides out away from the tires of the truck and trailer. Got to know what you are doing though, i have seen a few guys get pole vaulted off the truck! i might be able to get my paws on some of those.

Dodge ,that's it.
I have cut off a chunk & heat treated . It will harden, but I guess it depends on the
manufacturer.
Still the Army specs would negate that idea;{if I ever find them, but I do have a stock #}!
Thank ya'll for the help!!!!

Just call it a spud, I go fishing with mine when it's not standing in the corner, digging holes, moving rocks, or something. Makes good holes in the ice, though it's not quite that robust. Feel free to store one at my place too. Mine is only 1 inch round for most of its length.

Phil

We have these at work, also for rollling steel. The most recent batch we got was forged in India. The work fine, but they do get bent up occasionally. I have made simialary bars, but when I do it, I forge the foot and bend it to get mor leverage in use. The biggest one I made was forged from 1.625" round 1060. It is big and heavy, but it works great when you need a big lever.

Patrick

At the valve shop we had hundreds of these. We used them to move 80,000# machines on the upper floors of the machine shop as well as 60" micro adjusting tools for setting up the bigger machines.
I made one for hom, but with a different shape. Mine has a radiuse on the end and enough offset in the handle to help with not pinching your hands. Mine also has a ball end at the handle to help prevent stabbing myself. Mine is made from as forged 1541H, from an axle billet. started as 2.5" bar. I moved a 5000#+ lathe 32', turned it 90 degrees, and moved it back and forth to nestle it into place, with that bar, by myself.