I Forge Iron

Anvil Abuse

Gee you ... young pups ... are spoiled! I've USED anvils in worse shape!

I suspect this particular anvil was used in an old plumbing shop. That hardy hole appears to have been specifically opened out and enlarged for use with large round stock or pipe. It is too even to have been from "abuse". Plus the depression in front of that hardy hole shows specific heavy use - as in bending a right-angle in thick round stock or thick pipe. The rest of the marks show consistent use as a cutting chisel plate.

The "tool" marks on anvils will often ... tell you the tale. Like a slight depression on the heel next to the pritchel hole from long time use when setting rivets. Or the "off side" rounded or chipped edges indicating which way the anvil was orientated for use.

Yes, that is a well used anvil. But that hardy hole looks to me to have been a specific ... modification. And the "trough" depression running forward from it also then points to heavy right-angle bending of large round stock.

Just my opinion. And Yes, I've USED anvils in worse shape. It's not how nice it looks, it is what you can do with it that counts. This one just has much more of ... a story to tell!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. An OLD plumbing shop. Back when pipe was "formed" to shape instead of just cut/threaded and screwed into a cast pipe joint/fitting.

Edited by Mike Ameling

Interesting observations fellas! I wonder what the real story is...
I just picked up a... I think its a fisher... anvil the other day. Heal is broken off at the hardy hole and the sides have some MAJOR chips er ah chunks missing. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Could be the one I use to learn how to repair an anvil... Even missing the heal, it weighs around 250#

Looks like a good candidate for Blowing an Anvil next 4th of July.

Polish up the surfaces, and mill more shapes into it for use as a customized anvil swage combo.

Mill a dovetail onto the top to accept various dies.

It isn't ready for the scrap heap yet by any means, a lot can be done with it. Of course being a machinist/fabricator, and having machine tools does make it more plausible to me.

Well it's worth something just because it is wrought iron, it could be bought just to use it for the wrought, since it is in such rough condition it wouldn't be such a shame to make it into something else or a lot of something else's.

welder19