I Forge Iron

Damascus 'Splat'

nonjic

Just having a mess around with some bits I had already forged, and I decided to 'test the welds' on a piece of mosaic damascus that the pattern wasnt very symetrical on,.

So, just larroped it down into a blade shape against the welds! to my suprise it all held together, and even more shockingly it heat treated ok aswell :o

Its a thin blade, about 2.5mm, 4.25" long, somthing a bit different anyway!

16000.attach

16001.attach

16002.attach

Edited by mod07

John when I did the pattern welded pizza cutter for my wife I made the cutting disk by forging a billet down along the long axis---just to see how well the welds would hold. It is impressive when you start with a 3" long piece and take that down to 3/16".

wow even though its not very big a damascus is very hard to make i could never a blade like that

The only real reason you could NEVER make a damascus blade is if you NEVER try. Sure, trying isn't a guarantee of success but not trying IS a guarantee of failure.

Beautiful blade John.

I may just have to get out my larropping shoestrings and give that a shot. And I don't even make blades! Maybe a flashy drop spindle for Deb.

I'm not completely without experience mind you, I learned to larrup my food as a young child. Mother's cooking was indeed larrupping good you know. ;)

Frosty

Never say never indead. I had all kinds of problems till I met anouther knife maker and got a little hands on, and I do mean little. A few pointers and it was like a light clicking on.

Awsome pattern, definatly don't see that every day.

Frosty, sooner or later we'll draw you over to the dark side (BOG)

If you're going to draw me how about a light to medium straw instead of on the dark side. I'd like to try and keep what edge I have left. :rolleyes:

Frosty

Glad you all like, its somthing a bit different that ive not seen tried before!

I think a good larroping might be similar to a good ol american woopin.

On a pattern like this all woopin / larropin MUST be done at a full welding heat or your going to have a sad pile of bits!

gonna put my thinking hat on now for some new patterns for when I get some more steel :D

If youve not tried patternwelding before just have a go at it! , the only way you will learn is to start doing it. (dont be scared of trying, its only metal)

Ive been at it a bit more than 2 years now, and had no real prior blacksmithing experience, just jumped in at the deep end as it were! sometimes im lucky if I get the forge lit once a month, so its not like its a lifetime skill thing!

Very nice pattern development John. I really like it.

Frosty: If you're trying not to succeed, then isn't failure success? In fact if you succeeded that would be failure. It's only when you fail to succeed that you've truly failed.

Edited by nakedanvil