I Forge Iron

Firebox ideas

lordcaradoc

OK, so I have been putting the parts together for a brake drum forge and I now have all the duct parts in 2" Black Iron.

My problem is that all metal here in NE Ohio is pretty much being sold to the scrap dealers for cash and nobody wants to part with a brake drum. I asked at an auto shop today and they think it will likely be $15 if I go to the dealers. I haven't checked on that yet, but it has me frustrated.

My plans have been to put the brake drum into a sheet metal table that I have legs for already and it gives me more space to work with fuel.

Can any of you suggest alternatives for a firepot that can still bolt to the flange and set into the table? I don't mind creative ideas, but I don't weld, so making my own is out for the moment. Now, if I could weld, I could just make my own anyway. :)

Regards,
Tim

Any bowl shaped object will work.

I have used a tire rim, put clay in the bottom to cover the lug bolt holes. I also used the clay to form a particular shaped fire pot in the rim for special projects, but found the rim works well without additional modifications.

BP0133 the Now Famous 55 Forge is a quick and easy way to make a forge. Cose should be minimal.

Tim , i bet if i walked inta 1 of the local auto repair mobs over there with a 6 pak of tinnies ( can's of BEER ) slung it up onta counter & said ta manager could i dive inta your scrap bin he'd say sure

Dale Russell

p.s , just remember to stack up the stuff you move & replace it when your finished & u'll more then likely get told you can come back anytime for " special items "

try a small kitchen sink or one of bathroom sinks made of cast iron or one out of and old camper...line it with fire clay from the hardware store...there was a TV show from the Univ of Georgia the guy doing the show used a wheel barrow for his forge point is just about anything can be made to work...just got to get out of the box!

Hey a six pack should get you something in the way of a break drum. I don't think you gone to the right garage yet. Keep trying and you will get one. Old cast iron roof drain bodies will work, floor drain, floor sinks, bar sinks, anything cast iron will work. Just about any heavy duty steel stamping, lots of things you haven't thought of until you look at them.

The simplest is a hole in the ground, cost, $0. I've seen a guy make one out of a shovel before, it's on one of the other forums if your interested in seeing it. Really neat little design. Check with the local scrap yards. If they buy old cars, there's sure to be drums and rotors laying around. Also check out the washtub forge (Lively forge?). Lots of things will work, it's just a matter of seeing it from a different perspective.

How about a large metal kitchen mixing bowl? Line it with adobe, punch a hole in the bottom, seit it in your table, hook up your tyuere and off you go?

BTW, I agree with Dale. Half a dozen tinnies is the standard currency everywhere in this country. Should work in the States as well I would say :)

I wanted to thank all of you for your advice. I have found myself bound up in what I thought was necessary and have this morning had a bit of a rude awakening. (Not really very rude though :))

On another site, I got news that Tim Lively is retiring from blade making and when I went to the site where he posted about it, somebody replied with pictures of Tim's shop. What brought this realization upon me was how simple his shop setup was for the wonderful work I have seen of his. It sobered me up a bit about getting started.

So, I have decided that I will be making my first forge here based on Tim's excellent design, hopefully by next week, I will have a functional forge setup and will be able to start making "things" :)

Again, thank you for all your advice and suggestions.

Best regards,
Tim

Edited by lordcaradoc

My first forge was built for living history and portability
I used firebrick inside a wooden box frame
Wood was scrap and firebrick was only less than $2 each

Since I used a hand bellows I couldn't get it too hot but that was remedied on my second box that I had made at a local garage.

John Debnam

≈≈Crafter John≈≈
≡≡Ian Stewart≡≡
Smith to Recruiting Company of Col. Gaffneys Regiment of Pike and Shot
Contracted to Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all, I now have a forge ready to work. I am still situating the post vise and my rail anvil in the area I have set up for work, but I should be working by the end of the week. Here are the pictures of my process in building the forge.

It is built on the pattern of Tim lively's tub forge with some upgrades, both suggested by friends and one I came up with myself :)

The Air tank, allows for a lid to be hinged on. The choke pipe that slides the full length allows for my design variation, the Dial-a-choke. See the pictures with the two pipes sitting next to each other in the three settings for full wide open, then two small fire settings. I have fired it without air once, the other night and should be forging in the next couple days.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Tim

16650.attach

16651.attach

16652.attach

16653.attach

16654.attach

16655.attach

16656.attach

16657.attach

16659.attach

16660.attach

16661.attach

16662.attach

16663.attach

Yep, there is a source for restaurant grade charcoal locally, 20 lbs for $7.29. Plus what I can manage to make for myself, there are a couple trees that border our yard that I need to trim up. ;)

Once I complete the mounting of the rail anvil and my post vice, I will post more pics with the forge going.

Regards,
Tim

Rob,

For now, it will be a hair dryer, but I wan to get a crank blower like Tim Lively uses. It has easy 2 speeds and I know better than to just leave it running when I pull work out of the fire, besides, Charcoal stays lit for a long time even without a steady air source and picks up nicely when the air starts again. :)

Regards,
Tim

Edited by lordcaradoc

hey tim what did you use as your refractory? very nice btw cant wait to see it in action

I made an adobe with Bentonite clay (kitty litter), Packing sand, Wood ash, Vermiculite and a little Mortar mix. I mixed in on a tarp and packed it in. After a week and a single burning, it is still really heavy, not sure if there is still a lot of moisture, but I took peoples advice and made sure it was packing, but not wet when I lined the forge. We'll see on that score.