I Forge Iron

Firebox ideas

lordcaradoc

OK, so I am all set except for firing up the forge and working. I got everything situated tonight after work. Sunday, I set posts in concrete for the vise and temporarily for my little rail anvil. tonight I finished getting them situated in on the posts. Now it is too late to fire up the forge, so that will have to wait until tomorrow after work. Here are the pictures of the forge area. :)

Both the vise and the anvil are mounted on sleeves so they can be taken inside this winter. The rail anvil will be kept inside anyway.

The only thing currently missing from these shots is the hair dryer blower.

Tomorrow, I'll be doing some straightening of the little bit of stock I have and planning on my first project, proper tongs. For now, I'll be using channel lock pliers. I may get the stock for the tongs tomorrow on the way home and make a start of it.

Regards,
Tim

16680.attach

16681.attach

OK, so I finally got all the real life stuff out of the way and fired up the forge today. Here are some pics.

My first project was a fire rake, made from some scavanged bar stock found under the deck. Then I started working on a pair of tongs. I am building them based on the Tongs video David Roberston did on YouTube.

I also took the very good advice a friend offered and moved the forge out from the house before lighting. This turned out to be an excellent idea with the sparks.

The fire started nicely. The hardwood lump charcoal was sparky though. I may start making my own from scrap softwood eventually. Otherwise, this wasn't too big of an issue.

These next two are for my first completed project, a fire rake and it was very useful.

I was plagued by a sneaky little imp who kept wanting to help daddy. We were very careful, especially with the sparks. :)

The last picture is starting to draw the reins for the tongs. This was fun (read the sarcasm), especially as I have not swung a hammer in nearly 2 years, had a couple cramp issues in each hand until things warmed up.

I also improvised a spring fuller for when the jaws will be formed so I can back draw behind them, not really spring, but they should work for this project until I can work out a real spring fuller. I did most of the drawing out on the reins today, tomorrow, I will round them and finish the tongs.

I am very happy with the setup for my little rail anvil, it is very stable and works as an anvil should. I need to make a board that the bottom of the post vise will sit in that I can stand on when working it as the foot kind of wants to wander around a bit. That should be no problem though.

Best regards,
Tim

16789.attach

16790.attach

16791.attach

16792.attach

16793.attach

• 2 weeks later...

I use a small propane knife makers forge as I just fool around and make small projects. One source of brake drums you should never overlook is 4x4 clubs and you local mud boggers. Trust me they are hording metal. For a few small knives and anything made out of tools, they will keep you in metal. Most of it will be castoff from tuck modifications, springs, broken axles, plenty of short round and square stock 1 inch to 2 is common. Most of these guys are master shade tree mechanics and welders and they are also a great source for used tools. For a few beers and a plate of BBQ some will do a small welding job if you need something bigger than you are able to do yourself. As an example of the types deals you can find, I have gotten a craftsman stick welder with table, helmet and the springs off a 5-ton military truck, several smaller springs and some giant bolts for $80.00 and a small knife. Be inventive, be nice and find the groups that work metal but are not into melting it. I realize you have your forge now but wanted to post this for the sake of others. Also to remind everyone that networking is a good way to find material and customers.

BTW, I just picked up a small stainless steel sink 10x12 inches, 5 deep for a firepot. It should work well enough for a part time metal burner like me.

Dave