I Forge Iron

Well, I have been wanting a new anvil for a long time now and I went and ordered a Fontanini 250 a while back. Now I know how my clients feel. Spend a bunch of money, and wait for the artist to make your piece. Now that it's here,and looking beautiful, my only dilemna is how I am putting the radii on the edges, where and how much. I think I'll play with it for a while before I do anything to the edges. Just got it yesterday, plan on using it today at work. Next question, Do I finish my paying clients work, or play with the new toy?
Mark

Do you have enough experience working on an anvil to know how to properly modify the tool? Do you do enough work on the anvil that you NEED the modification for the type work you do?

My suggestion is to use the anvil. I see no reason to grind off part of the face (edge) of the anvil just because you have the opportunity. If you need a rounded edge for a project, make a jig that will fit into the hardie hole, or across the face of the anvil to do that specific job. The jig can be removed, adjusted, or the radius made larger or smaller at little or no cost, just make another jig. If you modify the anvil, you better know what you are doing and really want that modification as your other choice is to replace the anvil if the modification is wrong or not to your liking.

It is your anvil that you bought and paid for. If you so choose, you can weld on it, use it as a cutting table for an ox/ac torch, beat on it with a way too heave sledge hammer, or buy several anvils and weld them together as sculpture. I may not agree, but then it is not my anvil.

If grinding off the edges were such a great idea, why then are people asking about rebuilding the edges of older anvil that have become rounded with use? They want to remove the radius in order to get nice clean square edges again, like the ones on your anvil now.

WOW. Congrats on the new anvil!

In the book Practical Blacksmithing, (a compendeum of articles written by Blacksmiths around the turn of the century), there are a couple articles pertainging to rounding the edges. I highly recomend this old book, there are a lot of information in there.

One articles states it is his belief that chipped edges on the anvil are the result of using a sharp edge on the anvil. Most All the chipped anvils I have seen have undressed edges.
he suggests a 1/8", section and a 1/4" section.

That is what I did with my anvil, I included a 1/2" radius also,I have one small section that has a sharp corner on it., I find I don't use it often.

Most metalurgical articles warn of the stress cracking from sharp corners, in the work. Why do I then need a sharp edge except in limited situations.

my .02

enjoy the new anvil.

Glen; I have to object to this line: "If grinding off the edges were such a great idea, why then are people asking about rebuilding the edges of older anvil that have become rounded with use?"

I believe that *most* of those folks have no idea what they are doing! Should we base our work on the great mass of the clueless just because there are more of them?

I will admit that sharp anvil edges were more of a problem back in WI days; but they can still lead to cold shuts if you are not careful. Especially for new folks who do not recognize the danger.

The time I need a sharp edge is generally doing the blade to tang transition on knives and so I built a special fuller that actually works better than trying to use the edge and is easier to use to boot!

I like the versions where people have radiused the edges in say 4" increments of *different* radii giving you a wide range of possible edges to use (and yes leaving one sharp is a possibility)

Of course how sharp is sharp? My large fisher has very nice edges with a slight radius to them; most of my other anvil are quite rounded edge indeed!

smithingman already said he wants to add radii, just where and how much. Looking at his posting history, I see that he's a professional smith. He probably knows enough about the work he plans to do on this anvil to radius it as needed.

Just for than - I’m making a sword!

Hi All,
I've already dressed the pritchel and hardy hole, yes I did play today, and thirdly I do have a good idea of what to do about the radii. I like to have a different radii in different places, depending on what I am doing work wise. My old anvil, a 225lb london pattern Hay Budden(in beautiful shape) had different radii all around which worked very well for me.
Mark

My comments were intended more for the new to blacksmithing folks that ask for advice on how to immediately change or modify an anvil instead of first using the anvil.

Smithingman, as an experienced blacksmith, then you know what will work best for you. Have you ask Steve what radii and where he would suggest for the 250 anvil?

May your new Fontanini 250 serve you well. It was not my intention to diminish your joy at owning a new anvil, in fact we should all be so fortunate.

Hi Glenn, In no way did you dimimish my joy with my new toy, er I mean tool. I think that everyone's opinion is useful to someone else in one way or another, and it is always helpful to me to look at things from another perspective. The one thing that drives me nuts is when smiths say that their way of doing something is the "only right way" of doing something. There are some VERY talented well known blacksmiths who do that and I feel that it limits my work to use only one method of working. I think that this forum is great in that everyone can throw in their ideas and methods. In regards to the radii, I am going to use the anvil for a while to see where I do what kind of operations before I do anything. I have never had the opportunity to use a european style anvil (2 horns) with a shelf, so I feel that I need to "learn" the tool before I do anything that I cannot correct in the future.
Thanks to all,
Mark Emig

Congrats Mark,

That is the exact anvil that I have decided to save my pennies for. I have called and talked to Steve about his anvils several times and I think that his anvil will suit me well. Please keep me/us informed as to how the anvil is working out for you and if it is meeting your expectations.

Another bonus for me is I can drive to his place in about 3.5 hours to pick it up and save a bunch in shipping when the time comes.

Enjoy your new anvil, You lucky scoundrel.:)