I Forge Iron

Electric press

Damascus Mike

Ray Clontz drives a hydraulic jack with a motor on a homemade press. You can find pictures with descriptions in the photo gallery on forgemagic.com under "ptpiddler".

yes ive seen this press before but i meant a press with only a motor no jack or cylanders or anything else just a motor.but thanx for telling me because i couldnt remember what the website was called but now i do.

usual is to have the motor spin a hydraulic pump

Can you explain what you mean if posible? thanx

Look at the electrified screw press using a friction drive.

where do i search for it?what website?

DMike: I googled Friction Drive Screw Press and almost all the hits on the first page were applicable. May I suggest you do likewise. I have to get ready for a road trip back June 1st.

I have a friend who is a coiner and has an old FDSP that I have used---bought on the used machinery market and much cheaper then the new imports and better made to boot!

DM, another thought, if available to you, is to enroll in an industrial arts class. It may teach you some basic physical mechanics to learn how simple machinery works and doesn't work. Electric motors are generally useless without some sort of mechanics; hydraulics, pulleys, gear boxes etc. to drive. Otherwise, they just sit and spin.

DM, another thought, if available to you, is to enroll in an industrial arts class. It may teach you some basic physical mechanics to learn how simple machinery works and doesn't work. Electric motors are generally useless without some sort of mechanics; hydraulics, pulleys, gear boxes etc. to drive. Otherwise, they just sit and spin.

oh sorry i may have explained it a bit different then some people may know,i mean ive got a motor and alot of scrap metal and a jack but i wanna see if i can make a press with only the motor as a driver,even if it runs pulleys or gears or wateva it needs i just dont wanna use a jack or hydrolic cylanders.
Any other ideas?if there is no way to do it i can use my bottle jack if needed i just need to know how,im very keen on the press that has a motor running the hand pump up and down with a cam but im not sure if ill get it right.

What's wrong with a jack or cylinder? Hydraulics are the best way to opperate a press, if you are against them then what did you have in mind for your press mechanism? You could build a screw press or an arbor press but I don't see why you would want to power either of them with an elec. motor.
What are you wanting the press for? forging or just a shop press?
Try searching on google for homemade presses or something similar, then you may get a better idea of what you want to build or atleast get a better understanding of different style presses

welder19

A little off topic, but somewhat interesting. The company I work for manufactures brake presses. We use what is called a planetary roller screw for each side of the ram of the press brake to drive it down.
It gives us quite a bit of available tonnage, plus a very quick cycle of the machine.

14538.attach

What's wrong with a jack or cylinder? Hydraulics are the best way to opperate a press, if you are against them then what did you have in mind for your press mechanism? You could build a screw press or an arbor press but I don't see why you would want to power either of them with an elec. motor.
What are you wanting the press for? forging or just a shop press?
Try searching on google for homemade presses or something similar, then you may get a better idea of what you want to build or atleast get a better understanding of different style presses

welder19

I dont have anything agains jacks or cylanders i just wanted to see if it was posible,ok ive changed my mind about the electric motorized press thing,im ganna use the jack i have,my press must be small under about 25 -30 kgs or less and it will be for forging and hopefully for Damascus if fast enough,i know people in the past have said i must use an air compressor but the truth is ive got one buy its old rusty and im scared its ganna explode if i let it built up preasure.ok ive sort of got an idea of how to make it and ill try explain it.

The press will be an H style press with the jack in the middle under the bar that goes up and down i want the jack to have my motor atached to it running the hand pump up and down making it pump the ram up very fast.If you have any changes or tips to make it better and faster fell free to comment.The press in the pic is what i wanna make.

14580.attach

Just make sure that you build the frame twice as strong as you think it needs to be. If youve no experience with presses you probably cant get you head around just how much energy is stored up in the press frame. It can go bang very easily.

Just make sure that you build the frame twice as strong as you think it needs to be. If youve no experience with presses you probably cant get you head around just how much energy is stored up in the press frame. It can go bang very easily.

Yes thanx,i plan to make it from I beam and square tubing and on every join or weld ill have another piece overlapping it so i know it wont break

Arc welding,Mig welding,gas welding,soldering and still trying to get forge welding right.why?

im guessing coz if you get it wrong you could maim or kill yourself, or someone else if they are nearby if the frame lets go due to substandard welding.

At this stage I think your time and resources would be much better spent on getting the basics down (hot forge, decent materials, 15n20 etc) than making a press. just my 2c.