I Forge Iron

Treadmill Oliver

Hi all-

First of all, I'd like to thank Glenn and everyone else for providing such a wonderful wealth of information on this site. I've been laying low for almost a year, trying to absorb as much information as I can and I thought it was time for me to share something as well.

Here's something I came up with to help me make a lot of tapered points on round stock when my sister wanted a bunch of yard art kind of stakes. The frame is a workout treadmill that my buddy's girlfriend was getting rid of.
I saw the pivot that it used to fold up for storage and thought that I could make use of it. I tore off the useless stuff and added a 12 lb. HF sledge and a piece of RR iron for the anvil. I used 1/2" rod for the hammer pivot and sleeved it so it would stay centered. 3/8" for the linkage rod and I welded together some pieces of a strip of 3/4" plate to make the base. I had to shorten the sledge handle to get it as close to the wall as I wanted when I rearranged the shop yesterday.
I had the chain and eye bolts laying around from other projects, so the total out of pocket for this one was about $75 for the RR iron, 3/4" plate and springs.

In the future I'll probably modify it so I can adjust the hammer height for tooling dies and stuff but for right now, it's great when the arm gets tired.

Cheers!!-- Jim

13570.attach

13571.attach

13572.attach

13573.attach

13574.attach

Truly using your coconut! I could swear you were taking pictures of your labor saving hammer, in my shop! (except I see the tulips are allready up in WA, not here in WY). Does the 3/8 rod flex much? As you clearly already know, the simplest solutions are usually the best. Great work!

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, it was a cheap treadmill that didn't have the motor- just a belt on a really slippery piece of plywood with a resistance fan geared to it. (Of course, I saved all of that stuff,too:D)
I think some packing or spacers somewhere will be the easiest way to adjust the height-just haven't gotten to it yet. The 3/8" hot rolled rod that the linkage is made out of is the same stuff that I was putting the square tapered points on. It flexes some but the springs give as well so I'm not too worried about it.
Frosty, it's perfect for a quick smash-it-flat or for long tapers. For more delicate stuff I'm trying to learn to use my new one (see below).

Cheers!!-Jim

13587.attach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well Jim, I finally gotterdid!!It's a pretty simple machine. But should do everything that I'll ever need it to do. I made a bracket for changing out tooling. I've only got the flat tooling made, so far. But I'll have more before long. Thanks for the push. I finally got it completed.
Oliver Treadle Hammer Completed - Blacksmith Photo Gallery
Oliver Treadle Hammer Flat Die - Blacksmith Photo Gallery
Oliver Treadle Hammer - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

OK. Here is the interchangeable dies for the Oliver. The first is of the new bottom fuller that I just made this AM, and the second shows both the flat face die and bottom fuller.

Oliver Treadle Hammer Die - Blacksmith Photo Gallery
Oliver Treadle Hammer Dies - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Both the flat face and the fuller are made from a peice of road grader blade edging. I know they are hard for wear, but I'm not so sure about impact. I guess I'll find out. :)

Edited by CurlyGeorge