I Forge Iron

Anvil Abuse, shooting anvils

I'm sure that there are knuckle-heads that just decide to go out and try this. I would probably be one of them if I had a surplus of expendable anvils and if black powder was not getting so hard to find.

However, the guys that do this "professionally" are not just throwing caution to the wind and randomly blasting good working anvils into the air. They (at least some of them) have specially selected anvils and they actually have them x-rayed at regular intervals to check for cracks and fractures.

I've seen this done at hammer-ins, and it's not the wild, risky event you might think it would be... very controlled and safety conscious. And the anvils were hand picked shooting anvils.

The old joke is that if you can catch the anvil before it hits the ground, you get to keep it.

Yes, there are professional anvil shooters. And, Yes, I have been present at a number of shuch events. I have a picture of a 100 lb anvil buried to the step in Mississippi Leos dirt.
Makes no difference. It is dangerous to a fault and every so often people get seriously injured. As I said, when it's going on I find some place else to be.

If there was EVER an arguement for natural selection .... that there is IT!!!

You know, I bet it's times like this that the universe just shakes its head and mutters to itself, "... man ... what was I thinking?!?" :confused:

What gets me the most is that in the background of that video there are 4-5 other anvils ready to go !!! :o
There is something seriously wrong in this world when we have new smiths who feel the call of the forge tugging at their gut but can't find an anvil to save their soul ... BECAUSE BOZOS LIKE THESE ARE BLOWING THEM UP !!! :mad:

Like Reid said - that just aint right.

sam

Aw come on people, lighten up a bit. What's wrong with a little friendly competition to see how far a person can defy gravity? I think for the most part, the anvils they use are older ones with issues that would make them not a perfect user anvil. Although, there are those that have to have the newest, latest of everything when they take up a hobby, but you will have that in ANY activity.

As far as launching an anvil goes, I'd rather see one used for something, rather than horded and locked away from ANY use whatsoever by a "collector".

Although an American Tradition, I never saw the point in it. You go asking for trouble, and it WILL find you. Think about the process, gunpowder, heavy object flying in the air, and a crowd of people. Kind of like a NASCAR Race without the fences, for the most part the cars stay on the track, but that one time they don't disaster....

Without a healthy curiosity and a taste for danger we'd still be living in caves and eating beetles.

Be Careful,

I'm twice as curious, intelligent, handsome, and educated as you, and I see nothing wrong with liveing in caves and eating beatles.:D

This whole thing may of course lead to a congressional bill makeing it illegal to abuse an anvil. The radicals will jump all over this. And that may of course lead to shop inspections and having our anvils micro examined for evidence of abuse.. expect lab work for evidence of burnt powder and the impact damage from the landing area..And of course the plaster castings of the impact area to be examined. I don't even want to think about court mandated anvil abuse counseling or having to register as an abuser of anvils.

This is a very contentious issue. It had a very negative effect on ABANA and some affiliates a few years ago. I guess we have to agree to disagree on some things. I for one have seen some bad stuff happen from explosions gone awry, so I will stay away from the whole anvil shoot idea.
On another note, I thought that PETA stood for People Eat Tasty Animals.
Mark

• 3 weeks later...