I Forge Iron

Fisher Saw Anvil

I inherited a rectangular anvil from my grandfather's estate. The anvil weights between 150 ~ 160lbs and clearly has Fisher stamped on the side. The casting is quite rough, but the face of the anvil is clean and the edges are free of any chips or dings. I realize that this is a specialize anvil, created for a specific purpose, but I am wondering if it would be suitable for forging on? Due to it's shape, I think it would be perfect for forging blades on. Anyone have any feed back on these types of anvils and their relative surface hardness?

Those saw maker's anvils were originally made for forging up saw blades. Later they were used more for adjusting and truing up big circular saw blades at lumber mills.

They are a normal anvil - with a hardened steel face. They can be used like any other anvil. They just don't have that "horn" on one end, and don't have a prichel or harder hole.

Over the years, I've ended up with two of them. One is rectangular anvil with a loop handle welded on end to help you carry it. It weighs around 100 pounds. And then there is that BIG one. It runs closer to 200 pounds. Rectangular with a slight taper up to that flat top face.

Knife makers do like them - when they can find one. You have that large flat face to work with. You can do all the normal blacksmith work on them. You just have to get a little more ... creative ... because you don't have a horn for shaping.

Just measured the big one. The face is 5 1/2 by 10 1/2. Base 7 x 12. And it is 10 1/2 inches tall. I can't remember the actual weight. I checked it many years ago. The small one is 6 x 10 on the face, 7 x 10 1/2 on the base, and 5 1/2 inches tall. It weighs 85 pounds on the junker bathroom scale - but we all know how THOSE lie.;)

The Fisher saw makers anvils are fairly hard to find. In Postman's anvil book there is a picture of the Fisher companies anvil display for the World's Fair - early 1900's. As I recall, they showed a 1200 pounder! Along with one of most every size they made.

So it should be a good user anvil. But check the steel face to see if it might have gone through a fire and gotten annealed.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Ok I was just joking and thought of this link. cbl4823 - Fisher and Norris Museum

If you scroll down you will see a photo (15 from the bottom of the page) that has a bunch of saw makers anvils.

That anvil should work just fine and the fact that it has been in your family makes it even more special. There are many ways to make do without a horn, hardy or pritchel hole you just have to be creative. It should be great for blades as in effect that is what it was made for.

Congrats and lets see a photo of it!

• 4 weeks later...

you lucky sod! I use a smaller stump anvil, about 6x4" rectangle (about 50lbs). It's set into a large oak stump in the ground. I use it as my main anvil (I'm mostly making forged finished blades) and rarely use my London pattern anvil.

It warms up fairly fast (ideal for my thin work) and the best thing is that without those extensions (horn and heel), it is much quieter to use :)

After so many years in the cold north that great anvil deserves a nice long working vacation somewhere warm and dry---did I mention that todays forecast was for 88degF and 27% humidity down here in Socorro NM, USA?

It's a great *using* anvil; good brand great condition. Proper use of it will do no detriment to it's value. Just letting it sit around collecting dust/rust would be a crime.