I Forge Iron

Slitter Geometry

This thread has inspired me to make my first tool. A punch. I was so keen in fact, that I didn't even bother thinking about what size punch I wanted to make. lol.
The overall length is 13 inches (pretty long I know). It is also on the thick side.

After further thought I have decided to taper the other end to a thinner punch then cut the whole thing in half and taper the ends a little ending up with two punchs roughly 8 inches long each.

I have had a smile on my face since making it last weekend and have finally had the chance to post photos.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed their time and info on the subject.

Sorry about the size of the photos. Will figure out how to resize before posting more.

post-14266-057298600 1282297845_thumb.jp

post-14266-002081200 1282297883_thumb.jp

post-14266-029012000 1282297910_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Okay..... first off... sorry for bringing the post backfrom the dead
this post is GREAT i have read and studied it all (seems nerdy dosn't it !)
I saw mention of a video on the making of brian's hammer..... where can i get hold of this?
thank you everyone and brian and hofi!

alec

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I have been reading on this forum for about a week now and this is the most awesome and informative thread that I have found yet! I do have a question tho, I have no idea what all of these numbers mean, and no money to spend on special steel for tools. I do have access to coil springs, dynamite drill rod, and an assortment of old chisels and other old tool steels, these would work for making these tools, wouldn't they?

I have been reading on this forum for about a week now and this is the most awesome and informative thread that I have found yet! I do have a question tho, I have no idea what all of these numbers mean, and no money to spend on special steel for tools. I do have access to coil springs, dynamite drill rod, and an assortment of old chisels and other old tool steels, these would work for making these tools, wouldn't they?

Coil spring (5160 typically) is excellent, but gets soft if you overheat the tool. Drill rod may be many things, including super-alloys that are quite red-hard and a bear to forge by hand.

Start with the coil spring, there is instructions for heat treat, but using a hot tool as-forged if made from coil spring is going to work just fine. The tool is going to start going soft by the time it gets to red heat, so you will have to cool frequently to prevent your tool getting that hot.

Doing a full heat treat will improve coil spring's cold hardness, but the temper will be drawn to about the same as normalized the first time the tool gets to red heat. The hot-hardness of coil spring is not significantly altered by heat treat.

Coil spring also moves fairly easily under a hand hammer, and will allow you to make several tools without a whole lot of effort.

Now here's a wrench on the heat treat discussion and material choices: use mild steel for your first one of these. It will wear out quick, but it will be easy to make and you can get the feel for making them quickly. Mild steel tools will work fine on hot steel if kept cool, but better steels last longer. Mild steel also moves much easier, and you can make one of these in many fewer heats to see if your procedure is on target.

Make your second tool of the type from coil spring.

Phil

• 6 months later...

I have decided after reading this whole thread that I will probably do this at my hammer in on Black Friday in November this year. I am in eastern MO. There are many opportunities to slit and drift and It has to be done all the time. If we take a day and do nothing but slit and drift and make the tools for it it will be good. Anyone in eastern MO is wellcome to my hammer in, message me if you are not a BAM member and need directions.

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Steve, Brian,

I concur with your thoughts on the loss of the photos. I too have referenced Brian's, submissions to make sure I was getting it right. I previously used to slit and drift separately, but Brian's one function tool sold me on his technique. I still have an eye drift to finish off the hole but the slit/drifter does most of the work. A thank you to Brian for sharing his ideas and photos. They have moved me forward on tool making techniques.

Bring back the photos.

Peter

They must be on an IFI server backup somewhere . . .no?  I 

Site admins your help would be appreciated here. 

Brian's thorough efforts  to document his processes where extremely well photographed and explained.  This post with photos should be a sticky or blueprint as well as some of the other techniques he has documented here.

• 1 month later...

Also disapoined to find these pics missing. This is one of my favorite threads on IFI. I have a few pics of Brians punches I'll post here, but not sure which thread I actually downladed them from. This certainly is not all of them by far. This would have been an awesome permanent BP.

post-37148-0-81737200-1395841032_thumb.jpost-37148-0-31863900-1395841028_thumb.jpost-37148-0-14923300-1395840995_thumb.jpost-37148-0-63844800-1395841002_thumb.jpost-37148-0-30203100-1395841008_thumb.jpost-37148-0-00022000-1395840998_thumb.jpost-37148-0-64795400-1395841011_thumb.jpost-37148-0-52079700-1395841017_thumb.jpost-37148-0-70306500-1395841022_thumb.j