I Forge Iron

Slitter Geometry

Kerry, those look like very good tools. for your own safety though, I'll mention that tools used for punching and chiseling hot steel probably should not be so hard that a file skates on them. Particularly on the shank or hitting end. The working end, probably won't stay that hard when used as the hot iron will temper them for you. It looks like the temper on your entire tool is a bronze, which would normally be a very hard tool (depending on the steel). The shank and hitting end should never be that hard. I would temper the whole tool to a darker blue color and so that you can file it easily. Then if you want the working end harder, just harden 1/2 inch or so. Someplace on this forum, Brian Brazeal has good comments on the process he uses for hardening chisels, punches etc.

So, what would be the difference? I understand there's more to a hammer I.E. hammers have a tapered hole to keep it on the handle, but don't you still have to slit and drift the hole? Is there a great deal difference in the geometry or are they just specialized to the size and shape of the desired hammer eye?

Thanks,
Scott

The difference is that I'm not just slitting and drifting a hole for a hammer like I would for a mortice. I am developing a "house" for the handle by forging the cheaks up onto the drift which enlarges the hole. The geometry is basically the same, but I start smaller than I want to end up with in the end.

12798.attach

12799.attach

12800.attach

12801.attach

12802.attach

12803.attach

12804.attach

12805.attach

Hofi's roots were in his exposure to the techniques and tools of Habermann. Hofi is the one who started spreading the steel up and down on forging hammers where in the past that was only done on smaller hammers to increase the length of the hole so it would hold the handle more securely. Brian you are a great link to Habermann, and I'm curious about his opinions and reasoning on hammer design. It is obvious that you like to shape eyes like Hofi, and that is a great way to make a hammer. Did Habermann start doing them that way after seeing Hofi do that?

Hofi's roots were in his exposure to the techniques and tools of Habermann. Hofi is the one who started spreading the steel up and down on forging hammers where in the past that was only done on smaller hammers to increase the length of the hole so it would hold the handle more securely. Brian you are a great link to Habermann, and I'm curious about his opinions and reasoning on hammer design. It is obvious that you like to shape eyes like Hofi, and that is a great way to make a hammer. Did Habermann start doing them that way after seeing Hofi do that?

Hofi learned this from Habermann on smaller top tools and hammers like Alrfed's famous "chiselier hammer". Hofi took it a step further and applied it to larger hammers and sledges. Hofi also made a major improvement with the geometry of his slitting chisels. This method is a very old technique that Alfred Habermann shared with hundreds of smiths at courses he taught at Helfstien Castle in the Chech Republic for over 25 years. Other smiths have also been doing this or something very similar today like Erin Simmons, Brent Bailey, and I'm sure countless others who have never had any contact with Habermann. This is an old technique that has been rediscovered by many smiths.

The technique is an old one and I've wondered why it wasn't used for larger forging hammers until recently. Have you ever heard an explanation? I think that perhaps the idea of extra mass in the center wasn't ever the reason for doing it until Hofi, it was always for a better handle attachment. It is definitely extra work to make the eye of a hammer that way because if you don't start with a very undersized hole you end up with a very large eye negating the purpose-that of having extra mass in the center of the hammer. Do you fuller your hammers to lengthen them because there is a point at which they are too wobbly in flight? I have made probably 15-20 different forging hammers experimenting with different designs. I have noticed there is a point at which a short wide hammer stops bouncing straight- that is what I mean by wobbly. It seems you only want so much mass in the center. Would punching and drifting an eye without then fullering on either side of the eye give you the same result without as much work? I have always been fascinated with the blacksmith's hammer since I first got into blacksmithing. There is so much complexity in such a simple tool, and I really enjoy being able to shape steel with hammers I've made.

thoes pictures look the same as the article in the current Hammers blow! my question now is that long drift what did you start with what are its sizes? also your fuller what is it about 1 1/4 or so ?

They are the same pictures, we took them a while ago. That drift started with 9" of 1-1/4" round 4140. The drift is 19" long, and I can make any size of hammer or hole with it that I would want to make. The top and bottom fullers have a 1-1/2" radius and are about 1-1/8" wide.
Here are the tools needed to make that hammer on an anvil without the need for a swage block.

12806.attach

Brian, Nice depiction of tools, but I have a couple questions. I got the "dish" figured out. Its for shaping the face for a rounding hammer; right? But I'm not sure about the ones circled. All fullers? The one circled in yellow has a hardy shank but confused about the ones circled in blue. OR am I confused about both. (wouldn't surprise me :D)
Thanks again
Scott

12807.attach

Brian,
This is one of the hammers the students will be able to make in November right? How about maybe a cross pien??? Do you make those as well?

I can't wait to see this done in person!

Peyton

I make all kinds of hammers and top tools this same way some are more involved than others. I suggest starting with the rounding hammer because it is the simplest and can be forged to finish in the least amount of steps. The faces are forged to shape with a flatter and the cupping tool as you release the drift.
I'm going to be putting a 2# chiselier hammer that Ed and I made last week in remembrance of Prof. Alfred Habermann up for auction as a donation to I FORGE IRON for the Spring Donation Drive. All proceeds will go to I FORGE IRON.

12808.attach

What is the "chiselier hammer"? Also, is it the grind of the slitting chisel that differentiates the one you use from Hofi's or are they the same? I hope you don't mind lots of questions thrown at you, it is wonderful to be able to discuss these things. I am always looking to understand these things better.

Brian, Nice depiction of tools, but I have a couple questions. I got the "dish" figured out. Its for shaping the face for a rounding hammer; right? But I'm not sure about the ones circled. All fullers? The one circled in yellow has a hardy shank but confused about the ones circled in blue. OR am I confused about both. (wouldn't surprise me :D)
Thanks again
Scott

right.
No, they are not all fullers. The one with the hardy shank is the bottom fuller to match the top fuller. The other two are to support the hammer while driving the drift so you don't damage the cheaks on your hardy hole. I just came up with this solution so the hammers can be done on an anvil that doesn't have a large enough hole. We used bolster blocks ["camels" as Alfred called them] or a swage block with larger holes to accomodate the cheaks before I figured this one out. These are much simpler to make than a camel and they are alot easier to lug around than a swage block, and as your hammer develops and changes where the exact support is needed they scoot over to adapt to this need.

Alwin, the grind is different and the way I use it. Hofi's is a chisel; mine is a punch. I grind it basically the same except more like a cold chisel, and I drive it almost all the way from one side before I punch out the plug from the other side. Most all of my punches are ground this way no matter what shape[round, square, rectangular, etc...] I've been doing this for many years before I met Tom Clark and saw Hofi's slitters. I was excited to see someone else using the same principle; everyone thought I was crazy. There is so much less resistance this way.
I have to go to work now and Email my son, Mark, and wish him a happy birthday.

. It looks like the temper on your entire tool is a bronze
Hi blksmth, thx for your comment. As far as the temper, the pic does make it look bronze, I hardened and tempered only on the bottom 1.5 in or so after it was forged and annealed tho. I am planning on hardeneing the striking end as they are dead soft now, they`ve only been used once and you can see the upset starting to form. I am excited with the hole they produce, as ive tried just slitting and always got a rag in the hole. Ive tried a slot punch, but not with a striker and usually got it stuck or miss-aligned, just never used the two in combination before.....:)Kerry

In the book "The Artist Blacksmith" by Peter Parkinson (I think I got his name right) the author mentions how some British smiths sometimes put a cold chisel grind on their punches to make them go through metal faster. I had missed that before but noticed it after this discussion.

a latice work from 4''x4'' and in proportion the same from 3/4''
the tungsten slitter for the hydropress and three chisels for hand forging
chisel/slitter order 40 assorted diameter 1/2''-9/16''-5/8''-3/4'' 10 each
and the cuting geometry.befor and after grinding
the BIG 4'' was forged at my smithy by a group of 5 people three strikers
8 lbs hammer one holding the tungsten chisel and the drifts and one on the fire. the first heat took one hour then another 13 heats to finish al together 3 hours.
Hofi

12833.attach

12834.attach

12835.attach

12836.attach

12837.attach

12838.attach

12839.attach