I Forge Iron

Portable post vise stands?

Derek Melton

Hey,

I'll be at the Day Spring church festifall  http://www.dayspringonline.org/dayspring-festifall.html. It's a small craft fair which benefits Clinton Police. I have a friend that goes there who asked me if I'd be interested in doing a demo there. I'm a little nervous but excited too. I'll have a small table of the few items I'll have for sale and plan to make leaf keychains, hooks, etc. on the spot. 

I really like the pic of flyingxs wooden "sawhorse" with the anvil as a counterweight. That might not be ideal for for a permanent set up - but its simple and functional and wouldn't take too much time to build. The folding tripod stands are really nice too - but have to be incredibly heavy to move I bet.

The question you pose depends on how much stuff (weight) you want to move.. Also what do you want the vise capable of doing.. Hitting it with a 6lb hammer, pulling a 1/2"X2" X 48" over to bend it and make a square edge.. 

Or just to hold for finish filing,  maybe 1/2" R, etc, etc.. so more information would help give better examples.. 

I've demo'd for  over 30 years.. Moved my fair share of equipement,

Thanks. The purpose will primarily be to hold my small propane forge and to have a hammer and tong rack handy. After thinking about it, attaching a post vise may be something that I won't use quite as much as I thought I would so I may attach a light vise to it. For now I would likely not be doing a whole lot of heavy vise-related pounding during a demo, until my experience and skill deepens. I spent some time last night working on it and this is what I came up with,  so far. I still plan to weld on some side racks for hammers and tongs and will probably put a wood board top on it for now. I'm really new to welding but I'm happy with the results so far. That's 3/16 angle iron along with some scrap steel I had laying about and it seems plenty stout enough. 

IMG_2762.JPG

On 10 October 2016 at 8:12 PM, Derek Melton said:

I've got my first demo in a couple weeks, anyone have some good ideas for a post vise stand that's portable?

Depends how you want to use the vice...hammering down, filing, bending, twisting...

If you are looking for ultimate portability... start from the concept that a leg vice is entirely self supporting and does not actually need a stand.

A hole in the ground to stick the leg into would work for most of its functions....mk. 2 ...drive a bit of hollow section into the ground to make a firmer socket and keep the vice at a better height. Fix vice leg in hollow section with wedge or grub screw.

A couple of legs which pivot out from the top bracket, using the vice as the third leg would work if the ground surface was appropriate.

More conventional,  you could get a bit of plate for the base and make a socket to take the post...a grub screw would be enough to prevent most rotation... or just weld the vice post direct to the base plate...keep adding bracing or tool tables or hanging loops as required until it gets too heavy.

A friend has one mounted on an old truck wheel...complete with tyre which rolls around when you need to move it. Mine is on a three legged table which is small enough to also walk by rotation......walks easier up steps than a wheel! :)

Alan

On 10/13/2016 at 0:27 PM, Derek Melton said:

Thanks. The purpose will primarily be to hold my small propane forge and to have a hammer and tong rack handy. After thinking about it, attaching a post vise may be something that I won't use quite as much as I thought I would so I may attach a light vise to it. For now I would likely not be doing a whole lot of heavy vise-related pounding during a demo, until my experience and skill deepens. I spent some time last night working on it and this is what I came up with,  so far. I still plan to weld on some side racks for hammers and tongs and will probably put a wood board top on it for now. I'm really new to welding but I'm happy with the results so far. That's 3/16 angle iron along with some scrap steel I had laying about and it seems plenty stout enough. 

If you are using a gas forge you should be a little careful of having the vise mounted to the flame that supports the forge.. As you bang on the vise it will transfer some of the vibration to the forge and can break and dislodge your liner..  On a coal forge it doesn't matter.. 

A old fashioned truck or car rim will work.. Just add either a wood or metal tube and plate and bolt it down..

Though you might not feel your smithing skills are up to par, as you advance you will be thankful to have your equipment properly mounted and not having to do it again.. Both saves time and money in the long run.. 

Wasting your time chasing a vise around will detract from the quality of work..  Good equipment properly mounted makes a world of difference especially in the beginning.. 

As your skill set improves, one can adapt  more easily to unfamiliar or less than ideal situations and still make a top notch product because they have a good base line skill set..