I Forge Iron

How to wire wrap to hide weld

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find information on how to wire wrap a piece to hide a weld? I have ran searches on IFI and the web, I have found many pictures of it and a lot of info on chain mail and wrapping with flat stock, which is great info but not really what I am looking for. I have attached a pic from the Internet (this is not my work) of what I am talking about just in case I am calling this process by the wrong name. I tried this on my own with 14ga wire and well... I am too embarrassed to show you that adventure lol. My biggest question is how to get the ends so nicely "tucked"?

Thank you

post-53557-0-32479800-1421769593_thumb.j

Black frog, yes I have an O/A torch. I know that is copper wire but I have seen pics of other materials as well... This pics was just to make sure I was calling it correctly. I have tried rebar wire and it wrapped ok as well as some galvanized wire that I removed the galvinize from... I just can't get the dang ends tuck in lol

Jeddly, I didn't even think to look at paracord wrappings thank you.. I searched 550 cord wrapping and found a couple images on how that is wrapped. I will have to try and see if that will work on wire... Not sure on fishing it through the wrap and pulling it back down... But hey I wont find out if I don't try... Thank you

An ancient technique for preventing the ends of ropes from "unravling", ... is commonly known as "Whipping".

The basic technique, can be adapted to just about any sort of "strand", being wrapped around anything else, ... with the ends of the strand trapped under the wrap..

From the "silk" used to attach the "eyes" or "guides" onto a Fishing Rod, ... right up to 1/2" round bar, wrapped around a timber or spar, to prevent splitting, ... are all variations of the basic technique.

Soft Iron "Mechanics Wire", ... in the lighter guages, ... can be "tied" in this fashion, ... and when oiled before jerking the ends of the Whipping tight, ... streches down nice and smooth.

GOOGLE "Rope End Whipping" for lots of "how to" data, and video .....

Smooth/dress any weld down to be flush with the surfaces at both sides of the join.

Then you could try forging one end of the wire to suit the gap on the joint you wish to wrap, bend into a small right angle towards the tip, and lay this into the void in the joint, 

This should give the smooth appearance at one end you require,

Proceed to wrap the joint progressively and tightly using localised heat (oxy/acet) and suitable tongs.

At the end of the wrap, cut off any surplus (from the centreline of the join plus a small allowance, say half the width of one of the bars being joined) then using tongs, bend this end to the centreline of the joint,  and then using a small punch, punch the free end into the joint's gap to match the beginning of the wrap.

You may have to try a couple of times to get the technique to work for you.

Hope this makes some sort of sense and helps, have fun.

Think hangman's noose. http://www.realknots.com/knots/noose.htm

With your joint cleaned smooth lay a hairpin shaped section of wire along the joint with some of the loop above the end of the portion to be covered. Starting from the far end of the hairpin bend wrap closely and reasonably tightly. When the wraps reach the exposed loop insert the end of the wrap through, draw the eye close, trim the standing end and pull the eye into the wraps.

The reason  suggest a hangman's not is it has ANOTHER eye at the far end. YES, you got it in one, the noose insert the end you just pulled to draw the other eye closed through the noose and draw it closed. Heat it all to approx 450f and when it cools it'll be tighter than the dickens, do this at red heat and the wire will stretch and never get tight.

Okay, this isn't actually THE solution but it's THE place to start to develop the wrap with hidden ends.

Frosty The Lucky.

what smoothbore described is a fascinating technique well worth learning. My dad taught me how to wrap the ferrule part of golf club heads (linen string, not wire) and recall he called it "whipping". I've used it with much success with copper wire, mechanic's wire would be great.