I Forge Iron

Touchmark???

Gents,

Unless you want a very large stamp head with a simple line design, the file and grind procedure will not give you all that good a product. I found that the time involved is very out balanced by the cost of just buying the premade unit. Also once the outfit has your logo in the computer you can always order new ones.

Peter

Peter you are correct about the pattern and art work.

The pattern is kept for 30+ years and you never have to pay for it again.

We make the design in Auto Cad drawing then once you have approved it we engrave the pattern artist transposes it into a 12X size scribed plastic pattern. From that he produces a sunken pattern into solid magnesium plate. Then a hard bakelite platic pattern is made for the pantograph to trace into the actual stamp. Once completed it is heat treated with a hard marking end 58 R/c and a drawn back hammer end so it doesn't splinter.

We do have very high speed CNC engravers which work from the engineers drawing but we do not recommend this process for hand stamping or artistc engraving (logos and such)

Edited by Stamp man

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stampman...I did get my stamp...image is 3/8".....$45 for the artwork/setup..$69 for the stamp. Best deal for a complicated logo stamp I have found. Oh, it's a well made stamp, too...:) Photo is of same image on my original stamp.

12548.attach

Edited by rthibeau

• 2 weeks later...

I made a touch mark out of a piece of 3/8" by 3/8" HSS lathe stock with a dremel, it it very simple, my version of a thistle, I stamp a thistle, my initials and a month and year on most pieces that go out of my shop, the thistle only goes on small pieces,

I struck the punch in alumium as i was grinding to make sure it was what I wanted

• 4 weeks later...
CurlyGeorge said:
Got my new touchmark stamp, today, from CMT. It's exactly what I ordered. StampMan, you do great work. Thanks.

Curly,

I am really glad you like it.

We made some pretty interesting 3D designs for this one. It was fun to do.

Thanks for the good word:D

• 2 weeks later...

over 3 years ago I dumped the dial up, and got faster connection. So my Email changed, but they still have my very one one listed... Joe said he cant even get in there to fix things anymore?

What gives? First there is talk of paid memberships there, then it seems Jock has gone UA, or AWOL for the older crowd.

Edited by steve sells

Hmmm, I got a responce from Jock within a day! Here is a copy of his last correspondance-
(my question)
Hi Jock-
Thanks for the reply!
I mentioned this registry on IFORGEIRON.com and the perception is
that nothing is happening with it. I'm wondering if the cost to
register and the benefit from doing so needs to be reconsidered. I
know there are many new smiths with touchmarks out there.
(Jock's reply)
We register all that are sent in. CSI members are not charged. The cost was a one time fee to cover my time setting them up. It takes about an hour so I am giving away my time. I was hoping to find a maker that would want to be a sole advertiser and that would cover the costs to make it free but none have been interested.

I haven't really pushed it. They was one guy that tried to launch a web site that was nothing but a mark registry but I know from our lackluster interest that it was doomed. There have also been folks that collected marks hoping to publish them. One gave me his drawings and list but the drawings were so bad they could not be used and many were not even legible. .

It's one of those things that everyone thinks is a good idea but don't follow through on.

Jock D.
(me again)
Maybe it is time to try again? I'm in the process of designing my own touchmark etc. I don't know beans about programming and site design but I would be willing to donate some time if someone could get a site off the ground.

I got my name stamp from HA Evers Company who is mentioned earlier in this thread. You can see my 'mark' here....

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/109935-post26.html

I got my stamp long ago. I think the price was around $20. The letters are 1/8" high.

It has always seemed to me that the purpose of putting your mark on your work is so someone will know who made the thing. If they have to go thru some obscure 'registry' what is the point? How will anyone know that a registry exists?

Best plan IMO is to put on your name and zip code. Over the years people I have sold work to have moved around. Years later if your name and zip were on the piece it would be a simple matter to find you.

I made a touch mark out of a piece of 3/8" by 3/8" HSS lathe stock with a dremel, it it very simple, my version of a thistle, I stamp ...

Hi CBrann. Could you explain how you did this? I tried it out with a piece of hardened heat resistant steel, and although I did not break any cutters, the engraving came out pretty cheesy :confused:. It is hard to describe. It worked. It made a recognizable imprint. But, it was kind of swirly and not sharp.

I used a tiny carbide milling cutter. The fellow selling these at the flea market seemed pretty expert at their use. He suggested using kerosene as a cutting fluid if you didn't want to spring for WD-40. That was a good idea, and it kept the cutting smooth, but it was difficult to control.

• 1 year later...