I Forge Iron

Had a lucky day today.

I got this anvil for $200:
post-25178-0-39849900-1347479940_thumb.j post-25178-0-41606400-1347479950_thumb.j post-25178-0-32497500-1347479947_thumb.j post-25178-0-85964800-1347480127_thumb.j post-25178-0-21008300-1347479944_thumb.j post-25178-0-84352000-1347480069_thumb.j

This is a Wilkinsons 217# anvil (1 x 112 + 3 x 28 + 21 = 217). It has a mild ring to it (more like a "ping" or "pink") and the rebound is very good over the entire face.
Is there any way to determine the age of this anvil?

And this smaller anvil for $40:
post-25178-0-58341800-1347479953_thumb.j post-25178-0-48094500-1347479959_thumb.j post-25178-0-71342900-1347479956_thumb.j post-25178-0-88356000-1347479962_thumb.j

I couldn't find any markings on this one, but it is around 40-50# and the face appears to be a steel plate. The horn still has a ridge from casting. It has a very pure ring, like a bell. I am pretty certain it is a real anvil and not an ASO. Is there any way to tell for sure? How could its origins be identified?

And these tools another $20:
post-25178-0-71369400-1347479933_thumb.j post-25178-0-27740800-1347479937_thumb.j

I came across these items completely unexpectedly when I was browsing the local Kijiji pages, while taking a break from work. The ad was only a couple of hours old, and the items were up for best offer. I felt a little rush go up the back of my neck. When I called the seller, she told me that a few people had already called, and that they were planning to come see the items later in the day. After a short discussion regarding the current offers, I learned that someone was offering $100 for both the anvils, and that she was planning on giving them up for that. I told her I'd pay at least twice that for the big anvil, and that I'd be happy to come have a look even if the anvils were spoken for. She said she didn't have a lot of time due to various things, but if I came before 3pm it would be alright. It was 1pm when I called. I hung up and jumped in the car and mobilized to the location as fast as possible.

The seller turned out to be a very nice lady. Her husband had taken ill, and would no longer be able to work. He had taken a weekend blacksmith course years ago, but his equipment had sat unused for years and years since then. She was selling some of the heavier tools from his workshop one by one. Anyway she said I could have the big anvil for $200. I didn't say a word and immediately handed over four $50 bills. I ended up buying the small one and the tools as well. She also had a Champion 400 blower in very good working condition, up for best offer. I did not buy it since I have no need for it; I use only propane at the moment.

I have been reading some comments by Thomas Powers. He is right, the nice anvils are out there, you just have to watch and wait. I've been waiting for over a year for something like this, and I'm extremely thankful that I lucked out today. I am looking forward to putting aside the 150# Vulcan (with a dinged up face and chipped edges) that I have been using so far, and trying out this Wilkinsons.

All the best
Markus

(P.S. Edited the weight. Originally I said it was 202# but that was wrong. It turns out a quarter is 28# not 23#.)

Nice work, I am glad for your success. I saw four anvils for sell today, The seller wanted $200 for an unmarked 35 pounder and almost $600 for a 200 pound anvil that had snapped and was bolted together. He had a fair deal on a post vise but I passed because he was such a pain to deal with. He was so pleasant that I will not even tell anyone where his store is.

I will be out of the country until next year, I am sure all four will be there when I return, I’ll try again then. Enjoy your success.

Good score all round. Take a careful look, is it a steel face on a cast body? If it's cast iron it'll be pretty quiet like a Fisher.

You're right of course Andy, we traded all our unicorns for blowers. Pesky critters unicorns they just steal all the pretty young girls. Who need em? (Unicorns that is)

Frosty The Lucky.

Good score all round. Take a careful look, is it a steel face on a cast body? If it's cast iron it'll be pretty quiet like a Fisher.

You're right of course Andy, we traded all our unicorns for blowers. Pesky critters unicorns they just steal all the pretty young girls. Who need em? (Unicorns that is)

Frosty The Lucky.

Ha ha ha! :D very good.

Mac --
Yep, the small anvil bounces a small tack hammer pretty nicely.

Agreed regarding the cleanup. I am thinking about using a cup brush to get the rust off the face. Next, I am thinking about grinding the casting ridges off the horn.

As for finishing the rest of the body, I was thinking about using paint stripper to ease off the black paint, then cup brush to remove all rust, then some clear coat to preserve the nice bare steel look. Should look alright when done. I'll mount it on a smaller steel tripod stand and keep it handy.

Markus

Frosty --
Upon closer inspection, it appears the small anvil does not have a steel plate on the face.
The ridge from casting goes right up the heel of the anvil and meets the face. The face is ground flat. The face hangs over the sides a little bit (about 1/16-1/8") which is why at first it looked like a steel plate.

However it rings, so a least it's not cast iron. Cast tool steel?

Markus

Some grades of cast iron will ring somewhat, depending on the shape. I have never heard a swage block ring, but brake drums will.

The ring of an anvil is as much a function of the long horn and heel acting like a tuning fork as the material that it is made of and the way it is mounted, or not. Fishers and others made to be used do not ring much due to the short, blocky horn and heel.

A cast iron ASO copied from a wrought iron or cast steel body will not have the carefully engineered support required to last thru heavy pounding, which even the best brands can succumb to. If you find flaws under the surface when you grind it to clean it up, well, it is a conversation piece and doorstop still well worth the price paid. You did get a heck of a deal on the rest of the stuff.

As for that exaggerated top plate on all ASO's that I have seen, real anvils never seem to have that. There is a clear color/grain difference where they have been ground flush, but no shelf.

Maybe we need a Petersons' Field Guide to Anvils? With lines going to distinctive features. Anybody up for a Blueprint?

Gray cast iron dampens vibration and so eats the ring. White cast iron will ring. Most ASO's are the cheaper gray cast iron, (we drilled a HF ASO making a propane stove from it---seemed to be more graphite than iron!

As for a guide---there already is one! _Anvils in America_ by Richard Postman He's a great guy, always willing to help folks figuring out an oddball anvil. (he did a guess for my anvil that is missing everything above the waist---Peter wright due to the ledges on the feet and the font of the weight stamp) Buy his book! Encourage him to get the update printed!