I Forge Iron

Slitting and drifting

Brian I always enjoy your posts... Especially things like this where someone asks a question... and rather than talk about what to do you actually DO what they ask about... The first time I saw you work in person was in Memphis at ABANA this year and I really enjoyed your personality and methods. You are at the complete other end of both hand skill and experience from me ( you are fantastic with several decades under your belt, me the other way ;) ) I tend to think about what kind of prosses and tooling to develop to do the job...And even sometimes machinery to build to do it... because to do it by hand for me would take a very long time and I would end up with a poor product comparatively...

I really am awestruck at how efficient and productive you (and a small hand full of others) I have watched are with just an anvil, vise and hammer...

Anyway I just wanted to say I really value your posts... Yours are ones I will always check out even if the subject matter really doesn't interest me... because chances are something you show or say will make an impact and help me..

Brian,

You always get my attention. I learn something from you every time you post.

I have seen the “Yett pattern” used several time in my life time but I did not know that it had a name, origin, or use.

It has always fascinated me on its construction.

When you gave it a name, I looked it up and found this explanation of its origin.

This may be interesting to someone else also.

Yett (from the Old English and Scots language word for "gate") is a gate or grille of latticed wrought iron bars used for defensive purposes in castles and tower houses. Unlike a portcullis, which is raised and lowered vertically using mechanical means, Yetts are hinged in the manner of a traditional gate or door, and secured by bolts attached to the yet, or by long bars drawn out from the wall or gateway.

Thank you for teaching us about the craft.

Ted Throckmorton<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Whenever i see that type of work i am always curious about how it goes together. Kind of like a puzzle i guess, or am i making it more difficult than it is. As usual Brian, accurate, clean work. Whats the trick to drifting those slots so large with such a small amounts of stock left around the edges? Obviously heat, but are there other tricks?

Brian me Johnny made a set of tongs out of spring steel to make the rings with, and made my frist slitter, it worked great made the little plug just like you taught us. It wasn't quite as smooth as yours tho. Slit the hole then drifted it with a quater inch mild steel for the rivet. Thanks for all you do.

Whenever i see that type of work i am always curious about how it goes together. Kind of like a puzzle i guess, or am i making it more difficult than it is. As usual Brian, accurate, clean work. Whats the trick to drifting those slots so large with such a small amounts of stock left around the edges? Obviously heat, but are there other tricks?

Ironstein, I'll take it apart tomarrow and show how you put it together. It is alot simpler than it looks.
There are no tricks to drifting the holes. I used that slitting punch that makes about a 3/8" slot and then drift with the 3/8" square drift. When drifting, I don't strike more than 3 times because you will see the metal get darker where the drift is touching the piece. remove it immedeately and let the heat wick back into the metal, and then you can drift again with no more than 3 strikes because the drift will cool the metal again. Do not try to force the drift through. If you have lost the heat, just reheat and do it again. Once the drift has filled the hole, I use a cross peen and fuller the sides that were hallowed out a little from the punching. These holes need to be slightly oversized for assembly, so hammering the sides and trueing the stock back up accomplishes that.

Brian,
I want to echo what others say about your work and your willingness to share/explain/exhibit. I don't know about anyone else, but I believe that it is time for you to put out a book (if you haven't already). You accomplish in short order with emails and a few photos what others seem to have trouble explaining in larger formats. Thanks for all that you do to encourage and help all of us that want to be better at blacksmithing.
Tim

:D

Very cool Brian. I have always been interested in this. It just looks like such a complicated architectural piece, yet so simple. As usual you make it look easy. Tell Karen hello for me. My wife and i are currently working on a way for us to move to a more un-complicated part of the country where she can keep her high paying gig and i can spend more time doing stuff i love. Seeing you and Karen, and your lifestyle inspired me deeply. I spoke with Shane Carter a while back and he wanted me to tell you hello, he is an amazing farrier, and i guess he's been getting into knifemaking. I'll bet he will turn out some nice ones.

Ironstein; New Mexico is odd in that while most of it is rural and cheap we have a quite dense high tech areas Some counties have some of the top PhD's per capita numbers in the United States.

I myself work in the town of Socorro that is a small town apx 10K when the university is in session but with the university and the Very Large Array there is quite a high tech presence.

If you ever come out this way let me know and I can give you the nickle tour. We have a 4 bedroom passive solar house on an acre of land and it ran us about 150K *and* it's on a paved road and has "city" water!

Geeze Thomas! I sure hope you intend to document you're assertion New Mexico PHDs are more dense than PHDs elsewhere.:rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

Have you ever discussed anything outside their area of expertise with a PHD?
I find most of them to be rather dense. ;)

My brother has a PHD in vulcanology and calls me on the phone from Utah to hold the receiver up to his machines so I can diagnose a problem he`s been chasing for months and is finally willing to admit he`s stumped on.Usually takes about 10 minutes max for me to walk him thru a solution long distance.
He`s my brother and I love him but on some things he can be like the rocks he studies sometimes. :)

My brother has a PHD in vulcanology" Wow I thought for a minute there that you were talking Dr. Spock!

Since I`m his brother I guess that would require me to "live long and prosper" now wouldn`t it?
Bill does know the secret handshake too.Maybe he can teach it to me and that will get me thru the door.whaddayah think? :rolleyes:

The Vulcan would be Mr. Spock. Dr. Spock was a child rearing "expert". Most of the Ph.D.'s I know are pretty normal guys. Of course, most of them have black belts so we are equally comfortable talking astro physics, directed energy weapons, or kicking each other's faces in.

On topic: Brian, at what heat do you hammer the sides of the holes to true up the stock?

Mark