I Forge Iron

Trenton List

pkrankow

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 200 lb. Trenton

Never have looked for numbers or stamps so I don't know it's age.

That's a great photo Chayancarrek! and just like me, it appears as though you have mounted yours on a fir stump :-)

Here's a picture of my well-used 178 lb Trenton. post-7386-12661656322097_thumb.jpeg
The numbers on it are pretty well worn, and all I could make out was 'A348'(the last digit possibly being a 3)
If anyone could give a quick look in the anvil book and tell me the approximate age, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Iain

post-7386-12661655542783_thumb.jpeg

post-7386-12661655492326_thumb.jpeg

Thanks Mark!

That was a shot I took back in '2000 for some advertising work that I did for the biz.

I got my Trenton years ago from Jerry Cullberson at Old Cedar Forge in Allyn Wa.
It was my first "big" anvil and it's now my main workhorse.

The fir round is from a tree that I lost in a windstorm from my place in Vancouver Wa back in '96.

Well worn or not, your anvil looks ready to work!

Larry, A27559 = 1902.

Do you have a pretty good collection of anvils to go along with all your power hammers? You have these 2 Trentons and you picked up that 400 pound HB a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure there are more around your impressive shop.

As far as Anvils in use I have a 170lb HB, the 350 Trenton and a Nimba Gladiator I have had a lot of anvils and buy and sell quite a few but three around my one man shop 3 pretty well fills the bill for work.... I am not really sure how I ended up a "powerhammer guy" Probably just because I love the machines themselves... Regardless I usually have many more powerhammers than anvils...I have 9 hammers at the moment and another on the way... :)

Because of my school, I have two 250# Trentons, and it is happenstnce that they both weigh the same. I got one from a retired machinist about 40 years ago, and the other about 3 years ago at an auto junk yard. I used the one as a personal anvil for about 35 years, and even though the two weigh the same, there are slight differences in dimensions. My personal one is 32½" long overall and has a 1" deep step. The other is 31¼" long and has a 7/8" step. The shorter anvil is a little blockier in the waist.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

• 1 year later...

here is my trenton, got it for making some brackets on a boat trailer. it was covered in industrial hammered green paint and bondo. they thought it was a junk anvil. i thought it is an anvil. then alittle cleaning and presto a trenton
post-12147-0-97797600-1328822175_thumb.j

I am sure a number of these have less than perfectly straight horns. They were made with an open die process under power hammers, and anvils also do deform from use. It is possible that a previous owner did hundreds of thousand parts on the horn, so it bent slightly. I am sure it is fine.

Sask, that middle one has a heck of a step to it!

Phil