I Forge Iron

peen size

oscar C

maybe this qustion has already been posted...I no its really is up to personal preference but what is a good general peen size for a hand hammer? (cross,straight, diagonal.) is it proportional to the weight of the hammer? Or does it depend on the type of work beeing done?

It depends on the weight and the work being done. Are you riveting with it, using it to stretch metal, texturing with it, etc.? I would look on the internet at different smiths and watch how their hammers are shaped for the work they do, that should give you some idea.

depends on work being done... usually bigger for heavyer hammers ... also personal preference comes into play... ive started useing a sharper pien on a couple of my hammers for textureing leaf blanks.. looks better with smaller sharper marks...

Ayup, the more the merrier.

Don't be discouraged though, you really only need a couple hammers to do most everything.

Below is my main selection of working hammers. Then there are another five or so I use pretty often but not often enough to keep on the anvil. I have probably 140+ more but only use one of those on occasion so they're in buckets and the like, out of the way but available.

Frosty

12009.attach

My engine hoist is making your back ache Jeff? I must really be using it wrong. :rolleyes:

I picked it up last summer at a garage sale, without it I wouldn't've been able to do much while my elbow was healing. With it though, I'm able to do quite a number of things. Good investment for sure.

I don't know quite how many hammers I actually have, I haven't counted in a long time but I stopped actively collecting them some while back too. Still, I won't walk off and leave a good hammer on a table at a sale, especially a smithing hammer so the collection continues to grow.

Frosty

Jeff buy every pean hammer at sales that are broken or rusted. All off them can be re made or reshaped with fire or grinder. They make good hot punches. or any special hammer you want. Claw hammers too. just weld the claws together.

just weld the claws together.

Now there's a good idea. I've been passing over quite a few claw hammers. That ought to be fun trying to reshape them, and if I get disgusted with them I can turn them into dinner plates or something.

I'm sure this is not universal, but quite a few blacksmiths try to make the peen end of the hammer just a narrow section of the main hammer face. Same radius on the edges and crown on the peen as is on the main face of the hammer. If you have a hammer with a big crown in the face with larger edge radius, then the peen would be the same. Various smiths prefer different shaped (flat to round) faces and peens for their main hammer. Peter Ross uses his relatively flat hammer and minimal edge radius for just about everything. Uri Hofi uses his relatively rounded hammer for just about everything.

Peter Ross (at least in about 1998) used a 1 lb. 15 oz. hammer with a 3/8" wide flat peen - with maybe a 1/16" crown and 1/32" radius on the edges. He may be using a slightly heavier hammer of the same style now, but it could be the same hammer.

My Uri Hofi/Tom Clark hammers made in 1997 have peens that are more rounded with more radius (about 1/8") on the edges. The smaller hammer (2 lb. 13 oz.) has a 1/2" wide peen and the larger hammer (3 lb. 6 oz.)has a 5/8" wide peen. Both hammers have about a 1/16" crown. With the peen of the Hofi/Clark hammers it is easy to make the Hofi style leaves. That can not be easily done with the Ross hammer.

Edited by blksmth
Took out redundant url

I've heard blacksmith extraordinaire Brian Brazeal comment that the hammer and the anvil are each dies. I think he makes a good point. The hammer is the top die and a certain part of the anvil or possibly a bottom hardy tool etc. is the bottom die. When smashed together the hot iron conforms to the 2 dies. Brian uses several hammers each as a different top die. Other smiths use various top and bottom tools to get roughly the same results. Possibly Brian could expound on this.

Peter Ross uses fairly flat hammers with very small radius on the edges and his ironwork is very smooth without hammer marks of any kind. His expertise is Colonial Ironwork (year 1776) and he reproduces it. Apparently the goal in those days was to not have hammer marks show. Much of the ironwork was filed and it is not fun to have to file out hammer marks. His style hammer takes some getting use to as the sharp edges do leave hammer marks if one is not use to using a hammer like his. This is just one example of how one blacksmith prefers a particular hammer style and why.

Many blacksmiths today are producing ironwork for clients that prefer hammer marks to show that the piece was forged or home made. It is the sign of a good craftsman if he can do either smooth or not.