I Forge Iron

latest attempt at a rose

Very nice rose, I like it. I'm guessing its a composite piece as opposed to one piece? Good looking table too. One of the big challenges is getting good shots of your work, essential to build up a portfolio that sells you. I'd try extra, 'soft' lighting or a tripod to eliminate hand shake (use the timer after you've set up the shot) and a slower exposure. It'll absorb more of the ambient light and show the details better.
A good photo taken from what you think is the most flattering angle will be your only record of the piece after it's sold or given away so it's worth getting the best result you can. Sometimes it's even worth having the work done professionaly, but as I'm not rich I'm learning how to take good pictures instead.

The rose as a mixture of 18 & 20 guage plates (3) I left out the largest plate this time and went with an extra medium one. As for the table, I recently got a big load of 1/2 square stock, so thats what the legs are Frosty. The photography thing is something I really need to address. I am thinking that indeed, a tripod and better lighting would help, shaky hands make blurry pics for sure, many thanks for the comments, Mike

Both pieces are excellent Mike! Roses are never the same twice (either in nature or made) and each has its' own character. That one is really nice!
I also love the table and the fact that it is simple in design. A lot of times a simple design such as your choice for legs is far more aesthetic than something which contains a number of scrolls etc. which draw the eye to the decorations alone rather than the overall piece, at least in my humble opinion. Well Done!:D

Terry

James,
I have done a copper rose, the problem is with the chemicals, the pickle to clean it, and the sulphur to patina it is so time consuming. I have worked with a Roycroft Master Coppersmith) Bob Trout, and been fortunate to learn some of the basic skills, and it takes up so much space in my shop, I have just done small stuff so far. Maybe I'll post some pics on that section. Thanks for the prodding. Mike

• 2 weeks later...
What do ya mean it came out alright? It looks Great.

Wish I could get mine to turn out that way. Could be the fact I'm using stainless and trying to weld it to mild using a flux core that won't hold to stainless very well.

Those tables are incredible, great job.

You could try a copper rose and weld a mild steel stem to that though. Just a thought for you.