I Forge Iron

Small Power Hammers

Hey all, I'm new here it seem to be a great forum.
anyway I'm just wondering if any of you know if it's posable to find old Little Giant 25lb (or similar sized british) power hammers in the UK at all, and around how much they'd be selling for if it was posable, as I'm look for a small power hammer for making folded damascus steel and axe heads, I've seen the anyang C41-15 which is priced at around

In the USA there are several types of small hammers people build from scratch. examples are 50# tire hammer, Kinyon air hammer, little rusty, and several others.
Try a google search or anvilfire search for junk yard hammer.
Clay Spencer sells tire hammer plans and parts

i've have thought about making one and seen the ones people have made, but they all seem a bit light weight to me, i think I'd probably build one using 1" plate and making it look rather like a little giant, however that would probably end up costing about the same as an anyang C41-15, something to think about though if i can't find a good used one.

Hi Ragnarok, yes there are powerhammers for sale in the UK, I have just sold my Blacker, and know of others including Little Giant, Hercules and Goliath that have also been on sale, recently there was a Pattinson on ebay that looked a good deal, but did not sell. The Buy it now price was

Edited by John B
extra info on Pattinson hammer

Hi Ragnarok, yes there are powerhammers for sale in the UK, I have just sold my Blacker, and know of others including Little Giant, Hercules and Goliath that have also been on sale, recently there was a Pattinson on ebay that looked a good deal, but did not sell. The Buy it now price was
Edited by Ragnarok

Bipolarandy, Yeah, i've seen the tyre hammers, do you know how they vary the speed? they don't seem to have a clutch at all.

Kasper, good to know i was shocked by how small the 15kg is for a hammer of it's power, it's only about 3 feet tall! how long have you had it? have you had any reliability problems with it at all?

Ragnarok, the clay spencer tire hammer, and all of the compact spare drives such as on my spring helve use a steel wheel on the motor running on the tread of the tire as the clutch. You pivot the motor, use a spring to return the motor, and when you step on the treadle, the harder you push down, the less slip and the faster/harder the hammer hits. The compact spare adds a very nice flywheel effect and works wonderfully.
I like the tire clutch much better that the clutch I have used on various LG's

Ragnarok, May I suggest you look and try some various types of powerhammers before you make a commitment, if you contact the agent for the imported hammers I am sure they would be pleased to let you try various models and explain any queries you may have, it may not be too far away from you to travel.

G'Day Ragnarok ,

kasper & i brought our 15 kg / 33 lb Anyangs about the same time . Him in the northen hemisphere , me in the southern hemisphere ( Australia )

WOW is all i can say about mine , it ain't all about the BANG BANG BANG it can do , it's the infinite " tap tap tap's " it does as well

In my opinion ( not that it's worth that much anyway ) well worth every cent i spent on it

After sales backup was second to none , had 3 Anyang agents ( from all around the world )
helping me set mine up OZ , USA & Isreal

This is mine set up in my shop

Foot bar extention on Thumper - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Dale Russell

Edited by Dale Russell
Needed ta fix post

did someone mention a power hammer..... ;)

Yup, sadly all the prices have gone up, even more sadly all the margins have stayed the same :(

Ragnarok, If you can make a day trip over to Manchester you are very welcome to give a hammer a work out, ive got a bit of a pattern welding addiction going on myself so allways nice to swap a few ideas tips and tricks. If you get some billets stacked up before hand we can do alot of welding in a few hours!

Dont worry about hard sell or feeling obligated in any way if you pop over, Im just happy to get a couple of hours forging time in!

The offer to try the hammers is open to anyone, just give me a bell and a few days notice!

John N, (Johns hammer emporium, aka Massey)

Might take you up on that one when i get the chance.
I found an old advert for B.S Massey hammers the other day in an engineering year book from 1924, just picked it up and B.S Massey was on the first page, the hammer looks pretty close to the current anyang hammers.