I Forge Iron

Small Power Hammers

Ragnarok,
I first met John at last years BABA meeting with Moony (the Oz Anyang rep) and afterwards went up to see his 'shed' in Manchester. As a Yorkshireman I'm bound by several hundred years of history to have a peg at him because he's a Lancastrian, but I can't :D

He's a completely genuine bloke, hospitable to a fault (beer AND pizza, nice work John) and he knows his stuff backwards, forwards and sideways. If you just want to look and play then he won't hold it against you, John knows the quality of his stock. He makes all the mods needed so that HE is happy to sell them. I not saying that it's the cheapest option, but John is your BEST option if your serious, his aftermarket care is second to none. I know for a fact he's spent hours on the phone with clients talking them through any problems when he'd make a lot more cash out on the shop floor. If and when my ship comes in I wouldn't consider using anyone else in the UK to buy an air hammer from.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 4 of the 20 lb hammers from the estate of the previous distributor. These are 2007 models that were still in their crate. I am asking $3600 for these hammers. I don't have any of the newer 2009 hammers in stock... wanted to see how these hammers sold. They run on 110 V power and are extremely compact.
james

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this site but I have been in metal working in some way for almost 22 years and I try to adhear to old ways of doing things but unable to do all of my hammering by hand and unable to afford a large automatic hammer I converted a 4 ton flywheeled press to give specific blows to my laminated steel useful in chainsaw ,cable and layered tool steels

I converted a 4 ton flywheeled press to give specific blows to my laminated steel useful in chainsaw ,cable and layered tool steels

Could you post a photo of this conversion? I have a couple older flywheel punch presses and my thoughts were along that same line. How much stroke were you able to get out of it?
Thanks,
Dick

be careful doing this conversion guys, if you jam it it will smash itself (and sometimes the nearest fleshy thing) - make sure youve got a 'shear' overload on it, or a sprung loaded die set so the press can not jam on a cold billet, or if you try to take to big a bite on the billet.

• 2 weeks later...

Ragnarok... I have a little giant 50 and several Anyang c41-15 hammers that I use in daily production. I prefer the Anyang because it hits harder than the little giant but more importantly, it is a lot more controllable. If you can find a used LG, you might save a little money, but if you are going to keep the hammer for a long time, you should at least look at all the options. You might want to contact John Nicholson in Manchester (John N, on this board). If he can help you, he will.
For those who worry about Chinese quality and parts... these little guys are built well, last a long time (I have one c41-15 that I have used almost everyday for 5 years)... and parts are available in the US. The design is basic and has been proven for well over 100 years.