I Forge Iron

Shop signs

Looking through the "Chrismas Presents" post, Divermike listed a new sign for his shop, that got me thinking (a big job these days) about my new shop. I don't have the imagination for an "Original Masterpiece" and you guys are realy artistic about this kind of stuff. Post some shop signs for me to plagiarize (now you know why Lysdexic). Have a great Chrismas. And a really spark layden new year!
Paul.
It's not over... Until we Win!!!

I made the sign brace in 1981, and made a wooden sign similar to this metal one. The sign brace is based off a sign brace my first blacksmith instructor made for the entrance to the Masonic Lodge at Ohio Village, Ohio Historical Society, Columbus,Ohio. A neighbor in the industrial park bought and operates a computer controlled plasma cutting table that made this sign with my initials in it (which are also my mark.) The company is Country Fab, email: country_fab@msn.com The gray on the brick behind the sign is not from painting the sign but over spary when the roof was coated, prior to putting up the sign. The sign was located near the front corner of my shop next to the "allowed sign." I have not been told to take this one down, going onto 2 years. Property managers must think it is not too outstanding and good for advertising 2 businesses in the park.

9990.attach

9991.attach

Edited by Jymm Hoffman
design credit

If the property managers have their clients interests at heart they will get you to make signs for the whole park!
I love it. I come from the Welsh borders of the UK, the oldest ironworks in the land is in my home county. I grew up around "traditional iron". Good design is never just "in fashion", and consequently never goes out of fashion, right is right. Great work!
Paul.
It's not over...Untill we Win!!!

• 3 weeks later...

here's mine, (the one on the left). Shop signs are a great way to make a "first impression".

and here's another "shop sign"(right image) that I just finished with some welding students at the local community college. They did the "lion's share" of the work.

10436.attach

10437.attach

Edited by ornametalsmith

• 8 months later...

My step daughter and my good smithing friend Winslow are "lysdexik." They both tell me that the condition DOES NOT affect their design sense. They say that while the printed page bothers them to a degree, they have an easy time seeing an overall design in their mind's eye. Of course, it takes practice to execute, whether you're dyslexic or non.

Gaylan, That is a really nice looking sign. Very appealing and attractive with good detail, yet simple and not too busy. I like it a lot. Very much like other pieces of yours that I have seen. You are a very good craftsman. Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...
Let me explain my horseshoe. I was told by a blacksmith that he should put the horseshoe as to dump all the good luck into his shop. Everyone else should put the horseshoe up to hold all the good luck in. I have enjoyed all the good luck falling into my shop!!!

Gaylan

Thread Resurrection!

I've always heard this as well. That because the Blacksmith is the only one who uses all four elements, and because he *makes* the horseshoe, that he's the one who put the luck there in the first place. Because of all this, the Smith should place his horseshoes toe up, and allow the luck to flow back into the forge.

David

The anvil sign is pretty iconic but also pretty common. I kinda like the crossed hammers or hammer with the anvil or even just a huge boquet of flower and vines with the letter "blacksmith" underneath. I definitely agree that the more artistic and ornate it is the more confidence your customers will have in your abilities.

But also simple things like having the front of your business clean and inviting, free of scrap or debris, goes a long way. You have to ask yourself "if I had never been to a blacksmith would this make me feel invited or feel intimidated or unwelcome" because I think the average person feels intimidated or at the very least outmatched in understanding this process. For them it's just loud and dangerous even if they do admire the end result.