I Forge Iron

self containted air hammer?

From the email

Has anybody information about a self containted air hammer????
I want to built one my self. I already looked at anvilfire but that are only operating details. I want to make the hammer about 50 kg. Any information is welcome. I hope you can put this on the forum for me . Thanks already.

Greetings albertdirk
albertdirk@solcon.nl

Glenn... I started to build years ago a Kenyon (I think that was the spelling)... bought all the parts for two hammers, built one for my employer at the time, and started to build one for myself. Still have most of the air control and cylinder parts in my attic. This was not a self contained hammer, but driven by an external air compressor. When I got through with the first hammer, buying the steel and parts, and with my time work a buck or two per hour, it was much cheaper just go out and buy a hammer... so I bought my first Little Giant. Then went on to Anyang. There are a lot of used hammers out there that I would think would be cheaper than trying to build one from scratch... but then building the hammer can be fun also (just don't count the hours).

James

you could save yourself alot of headache and trouble and buy a big blu hammer compressor combo for a reasonable price.

According to one or our sources, you work for BB, you have been warned about IFIs advertising policy, and  since BB refuses to pay for this advertising you keep cramming down peoples throats, you are now gone.

Intersting question this,..... I think I could just about scratch build a self contained hammer without plans if I had a spare 200 / 300 hrs, and all the materials available to hand (oh, and my machine shop). I wouldnt be to confident about how well it would work though.

Ive been working on hammers full time for a lot of years, the only reason I would attempt would be for the challenge. ( I could get a job in Maccy'D's and earn the

there is a set of plans for a DIY self-contained air hammer, it is actualy simpler to build than one would think. The NWBA library has a copy. I will ask around ... I know some one with a copy of these plans and will get some contact information asap.

brad

my striker #88 arrived with schematics. In principle the machine appears relatively simple. You would, I suspect, require a big lathe and mill.
I seem to recall hearing that the fellow who builds the IRON KISS hammers built a self-contained prototype...
Buying a new one would be more cost-effective, but when has that ever been the blacksmith's prime motivation?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 80Gallon 175PSI 25SCFM Porter Cable that is virtually brand new and really pushes a lot of air. Is even this compressor enough to run a power hammer?

I was looking at the Striker STC-55. But this creates its own air. I figure I could get a lighter hammer(or one that is more hammer and less internal compressor/motor) without all that motor creating the air to run the hammer.

Anyone work with the striker? Is it a good brand? What are the favoured "brand new" brands in the 55lb range?

10267.attach

Most of the self contained hammers use the same principles of a motor driving a air compressor piston and then through valving systems, move the "Tup" or ram up and down. The basics of these hammers is simple and they have been manufactured for well over 100+ years. I have seen plans for Massy air hammers that were manufactured I think back around 1860's... and they are essentially the same as the hammers today. In fact, many of these hammers are still in operation. I have used Anyang hammers for over 4 years and currently have 4 of them working daily in my blacksmith shop.
What I really appreciate about these hammers is their hitting power, the unbelieveable control you get, and the reliability. I will use a private message to give you more information. You can check out some of my work at the sites below.

I make plans and kits for a home made air hammer. It takes me about 45 hours to complete building one. If you start with flat dies there is no machining. It is quiet running, runs clean and takes up little floor space. It is very controllable. I am still running the prototype after 5 years. The design is such that any welder/fabricator can make it.
You wont find any hammer that can be made from Home Depot parts. :( At the very least you will need to find a local pneumatics supplier. And, of course, a steel retailer.
It is very satisfying to build your own equipment. For more info look xxxxxxxxxxxxxx