I Forge Iron

Post vise completed(almost)

4 inch square steel tubing welded into a wheel rim. 1/2" rr tie plate welded on top. rebar studs welded on bottom of tubing to add stability. filled with a full 80lb bag of quickrete and some lead and granite pieces for added weight.

estimated total weight: 300lbs

Now all i need to do is forge a handle for the vise.

9475.attach

9476.attach

9477.attach

9478.attach

9479.attach

9480.attach

9481.attach

I'm pleased with how that turned out.

4 inch square steel tubing welded into a wheel rim. 1/2" rr tie plate welded on top. rebar studs welded on bottom of tubing to add stability.

WOW! Whoever welded that square tubing into the wheel rim must have been a real professional. Filling in a 1/4" gap between the tubing and rim is not for the faint of the heart!

O wait, that was me. :D :cool:

I frequently use a lump of concrete as a weight. Sean hates it but that is mainly jealousy. So my squat stands and dipping frame stand in concrete in the gym as does my goat BBQ. I also cast a slab on top of a bench where the bench grinders sit. The extra mass keeps them a good deal steadier and I just cast threaded bar into the mix to anchor them down.

I think most smiths get fairly expert with concrete. It is just so versatile and useful.

I think the handle on my 6" Indian Chief is about 18" or so. It's not a really close tolerance thing.

Frosty

indeed, you are correct. I was trying to get an estimate off my bench vises and couldnt come up with an accurate scale. 18" sounds dandy to me, maybe a little longer. just wanted some input on the average one. thanks very much!

I have two portable set ups: one is a 55 gallon drum with one end removed and a bung on the side near the bottom. In the open top I bolted a section of 2x12 cut in a arc to match the curve of the drum. The vise mounts to the wood and for the foot I have a small bracket that holds it and is staked into the ground. To use fill with water. 400# of water fits well and provides a slack tub/fire supply. When done remove the bung and drain and the drum is light and can be used to store other stuff in when travelling.

One for a less glaring set up uses the regular vise bench bracket that I have forged a set of 1/2" sq stock legs that fit the bracket "branches" and then angle down to the ground where they are bent out to provide a step and then bent down to make a spike to hold them in place. I have also forged a tong/hammer rack that arcs out from the ends of the bracket arms and bolts together with the legs and bracket. I also have a caddy for punches and chisels that bolts onto the bracket. Not nearly as sturdy as the 55 gallon drum but I can ask folks to stand on the end of the legs when I want to do heavier work in the vise.

You could weld a round steal plate on the bottom, make it big enough so that your standing on it while using the vise, it is imposible to move something your standing on, it will also give you a larger footprint and being round you will still be able to roll it around, I wouldn't use anything lighter than 1/4", 1/2" wopuld probably be best.

welder19