I Forge Iron

How do you carry your tools for Demos, living history, reenacting?

DKForge

Anyone have photos of how you carry your tools (hammers, tongs, hardies, punches, chisels etc.) when doing demos or living history type events. Do you use the old wooden carpenter type tool box, buckets? Just wondering as I am starting to amass my tools and wanted to see what others are doing.

If this has been asked before please just point me to the right thread. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

I like making things versus buying so any homemade ideas are most welcome.

Thanks

I, too, use a 5-gallon drywall bucket with one of those "bucket-pocket" things inside/outside. I made my pouch with lots of sleeve pockets around the outside for my chisels, punches, glasses, etc, then have dividers in the main pouch for hammers and tongs.
I also made a little dolly/handcart affair that I clamp the bucket to, so I don't have to carry it far. just drag it along

For the historic traveling forge, it takes a 14 foot tandem axle trailer.
For the modern demonstration, I only need my pick up truck. This is actually one of my every day forge systems on a cart. It has a unit of desk drawers set (not permanently,) into the cart. All of the tongs, hammers and punches I need can fit into the drawers for transport. The forge has to come off to fit into the truck as I have a cap. The forge lifts right off, plug the hose into a propane tank, plug a cord to a 110 outlet and I have power at the cart, 2 out lets. One on a switch for the blower.

9403.attach

9404.attach

I carry my tools in, in my 5-6gal wooden slack tub/bucket. The anvil, bick, and bellows all come along independently, but at least all the hand tools are in one spot.

I, too, use a 5-gallon drywall bucket with one of those "bucket-pocket" things inside/outside. I made my pouch with lots of sleeve pockets around the outside for my chisels, punches, glasses, etc, then have dividers in the main pouch for hammers and tongs.

This sound like something helpful that would be needed during the event. Do you unload it and then stash the bucket or do you keep it out discreetly?

The site where I demo goes "period" first thing on Saturday morning, so if I spend the night, I can drive down on Friday evening and dump my tools in the shop and be ready to go.

If I don't show up until Saturday, I have to walk about 3/4 mile from the parking lot to the Fort. I keep a large strip of thick canvas. I roll all of my tools up in it and then tie off each end, leaving enough rope to serve as a shoulder strap. I only need to cary my personal tools, a couple hammers, couple tongs, files, hack saw, etc. Probably weighs about 20 lbs, so it works out good.

I also have an open top, period tool box with the British "broad-arrow / GR" branded on it. I'll post a picture when I get the chance.

Don

Gobae,
It changes depending on how I am demo-ing. When I worked at the state fair, I laid out my main tools on a bench and had the bucket next to the bench for access to whatever I also needed. My bag is made from denim and it mostly conceals the bucket, so it doesn't break "the mood". It may not be fully period but it blends in better. I will get and post a picture

I made a mastermyre tool box from a piece of old barn wood I dug out of a flood pile. Adzed the crud off the surface and hand forged all the nails. It's actually cruder than the original which is good in that it's a tool chest and not a chest reused for a toolchest like the original.