I Forge Iron

Field forges

Wayne

Forgot to mention, I wonder if the bellows and hearth unit for the 1905 forge was stripped out of a military forge wagon?
The forge wagon in the 1846 aide memoire to the military sciences has this type of hearth and being a photo of a yeomanry unit instead of regulars they have adapted an old piece of kit?

Forgot to mention, I wonder if the bellows and hearth unit for the 1905 forge was stripped out of a military forge wagon?
The forge wagon in the 1846 aide memoire to the military sciences has this type of hearth and being a photo of a yeomanry unit instead of regulars they have adapted an old piece of kit?

I was wondering the same thing but think it was probably dismounted rather than stripped out.

Having looked at pics of military portable forges I always thought they'd be okay for short stops but a pain in the butt for a regular working smithy.

I know I've been able to do most things I needed to with a field expedient forge but if I'm going to be on location for more than a couple days it was worth the effort and time to make a more permanent arrangement. By that I mean arrange the forge, anvil, etc. in the way it is in a permanent smithy.

Frosty