I Forge Iron

Pineapple Twist

How's this?

It's the doffer I entered in the "I made this, what is it?" thread. It's the third try getting it right, I'd forgotten you twist back HALF the number of initial turns.

Angora goat head finial.

Frosty

9157.attach

I wish I could take credit for it Frosty, but I didn't make the door knocker. Manyowar did it. It is sweet though.

Sam, I did the top one. it's a handle for my garden trowel. I don't know who did the bottom one. Pretty cool though.

Mitch

Cube twist: Take a square bar, for this example we will use a 1/2'' X 4'' square A36 steel bar. Place it is a vice so that it is laying flat and the top edge is about flat with the jaws of the vice. Take a die grinder ($9.00 at harbor freight this weak only ;) ) and a cutoff wheel and cut a 3 1/2'' groove centered in the bar face. This should be centered both directions and about 1/16'' deep. Rotate the bar 1/4 turn and repeat the cut on all 4 sides. This cut can obviously be made with any device (chisel if you want) your imagination can conjure however this is what I use ;)

Once all 4 sides are cut make sure the cut is in as close to the same start and end point on all 4 sides use a hacksaw / band saw / very thin bladed cutting device and pick a side corner of the bar. Make some cuts perpendicular to the bar so that the first one is starting at the beginning of the groove and is cut on the edge so that it will end by the blade resting in the groove on 2 sides of the corner. Space the cuts so that the length of steel between the cuts is about = to the sides between the groove and the corner of the bar and continue cutting until you reach the opposite end of the groove. Now rotate the bar until the same cuts can be made in the corner exactly opposite the first one, leaving an untouched edge between the 2 cut edges.

Once your cuts are made on heat the piece and twist it till you are happy with the looks of the bar. As you twist the bar, the squares will seem to pop out a bit and different twist will create different results.

Thanks for the video link.

If you noticed how much trouble he had keeping the hot cut where he wanted it, this is largely because the blade is straight. If the edge has a curve (like an axe, not a wood gouge) it's easy to cut straight lines and in fact tends not to jump off the work.

Frosty

• 7 months later...