I Forge Iron

Watch the night

I'm sure most everybody knows this already but the Aurora is really raging, people are seeing bright colors and action as far south as the Mexican border. If your sky is clear tonight look North.

It is overcast here of course. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

I just went out to look around and while the sky was clear at the moment, I don't see anything out of the ordinary.  But! This evening I saw something I haven't seen since the day my eldest daughter was born in 2018 looking out of the hospital room window. Today We saw a double rainbow. 

20240510_195402.thumb.jpg.fce4996a5e056091e571e4600118ade1.jpg

My son, who is in Grand Forks, ND, just sent me a pic of a green glow in the northern sky.  He says it shows up better on the camera than by eye because of the urban light pollution.  Still cloudy in the north here but will check again in a bit.

G

Forecast here says overcast till Monday, the aurora is supposed to last over the weekend, it was a big SME (Solar Mass Ejection), prominence. They should keep getting larger for a few years, we're coming out of the Maunder Minimum, the 13 year solar activity cycle.

Frosty The Lucky.

Went out about 2AM and the sky to the north was lighter than overhead or to the south.  I couldn't tell if it was clouds or aurora.  there may have been very faint tendrils extending up to about 1/3 of the way to the zenith.  I will hope for better conditions and display for tonight but there are currently high, thin clouds covering much of the sky.

G

The news is showing displays covering probably 60% of the sky from Nashville Tn. and casting shadows in Mn. You should be lit up horizon to horizon if the light pollution isn't bad. Light pollution is a problem for us here, it's really built up in the last 25 years and some of our neighbors are clueless. Last time the forecast was pretty good, they turned on the yard floods so they could see better. <_< You should've seen the response on the neighborhood FB group. 

Regardless there are light sources all the way to the Talkeetna Mtns. about 9 miles north so the sky is always lit from below. <sigh> Heck we can't even drive out to the S. shore of Big Lake for dark skies, it's really building up. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Light pollution is XXX*&^%$  (*^$#^^,. And a bunch of other words i am not aloud to say. 

When i was in the ME the desert was dark, no lights for miles. The night sky was incredible. Then i put on set of night vision goggles and it was absolutely unbelievable what the night sky looked like.  I understood exactly what Carl Sagan meant by "billions and billions". 

We used to dirt bike in the Mojave desert and spent hours after dark laying in our sleeping bags watching meteors and the Milky Way rotate across the sky. Until we fell asleep of course. Never saw the aurora but every once in a while a satellite would re-enter and those were cool shows. 

It's one of the few things I miss, dark clear skies aren't as dark or clear here even at way sub zero temps.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd like to see purple night sky but oh noooo, Mr. Bill, we get gray.

I'll stop trying to brush the specks of dust off my screen now, I'm pretty sure they're stars in the pic, they move when I scroll it. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, it should be clear as a bell here then, we're getting close enough to summer solstice it probably won't get dark enough to see the aurora next week. 

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, BillyBones said:

I hope if the sun explodes it is at night so that it will explode away from us and not towards us. 

Should be safe here. They’ve had solar compactors on the street corners for years. 

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately it doesn't get dark enough to watch showers here unless a big one enters. Big like a marble, golf ball size literally lights the ground like a street lamp. 

Also being where we are I should've realized good sky watching was happening, it's overcast on top of not getting very dark. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.