I Forge Iron

weld ornamental ball

I would like to attach/weld a 3/4-1 ball on the end of some A36 that's 3/8 stock. Would ball bearing work with a wire welder? I'm not an experienced welder and use a wire flux core machine that is rated for 1/4 inch metal. Is this pie in the sky and what is the alternate? Are mild steel round balls available? I did look around with no answers found.  

..Do you need a solid ball or a hollow one or doesn't it matter?  Try looking up Atlas Metals on line catalog.  IIRC they have several aizes of hollow balls intended for "wrought iron" fence fabrication.  Also, lots of cool other stuff.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

My first question is do you mean a 3/4" - 1" ball bearing? 

If so yes. I have seen many people make a ball punch like that. Usually something a bit thicker than 3/8" but still using mild steel. 

2nd question, what are you making? 

If it does not have to be hardened i would just do a wrap around collar forge welded to the end of the bar, then make it a ball on the end.  

I'm not a welder, and would make a mess of that.  A good welder might be able to do it cleanly but an armature like me.

Could you drill a hole, and use a tap and die set to cut threads for the 3/8 inch rod?  You might want to reduce the end of the rod to a smaller size and use a smaller hole if you try this.  I think it would end up cleaner than a weld on it. 

Preheat the ball bearing or whatnot, then weld it to the rod then post heat to let it cool slowly. 

The quality of the weld will depend on how well you pre cleaned it and prepped it and your actual weld. Pre heating and post heating for a slow cooldown will be important if the ball is higher carbon like a ball bearing. 

As long as the ball isn't chromed it can't hurt to try. The preheat and post heat will give you better penetration and less chance of HAZ (heat affected zone) cracking or separation. The high carbon would cool and react different to the mild steel.  Certainly not pie in the sky. It is doable. 

If the ball is hollow and mild steel as well just take your time and weld it up. 

On 2/14/2024 at 7:24 PM, masonred said:

Are mild steel round balls available

You could google:

Custom Ornamental Iron Works Ltd

I don't know what a decent price is to you or how many you need, but they have weldable/drillable solid steel balls starting at 5/8" for $.98 on up to 4".  I don't know if they have a minimum, I have never dealt with them, just looked it up.  They also have:

Hollow Steel Balls
Crushed Steel Balls
Melon Steel Balls
Half Hollow Steel Balls
Pre-Drilled Solid Steel Balls
Aluminum Hollow Balls
Stainless Steel Hollow Balls

Welding them on should not be to hard.

It's going to work, need practice welding. I hit both ends several times and nothing turned loose. This will be a coat and hat hook after bending and making screw holes. Will try some different sizes and finishes, plan to start with linseed oil and wax. Thanks for advice 

image.thumb.png.aeea59b8493bb9aa11235d1a3165e550.png