I Forge Iron

Help venting smoke in a rented shop.

I recently opened a new shop. I am renting a 35x35 shop with a 20-foot ceiling. One wall has a 20-foot-wide bay door. I placed my forge next to this massive door, with a few fans blowing across to keep the smoke flowing outside. It works some of the time, unfortunately, it is often too windy here, and most of the smoke blows back into the shop on windy days. I cannot safely operate the forge like this and need to find a way to keep the smoke flowing outside.

My current thought is to get a forge hood to block the wind coming in from outside and to funnel the smoke better, and a duct blower to help ensure all the smoke is propelled outside. This would ensure the smoke is getting pumped out the door much better than the fans, but it does not stop the wind from blowing it right back in, so I'm not sure how effective it would be. I'm at a bit of a loss on how to keep the smoke out when the wind can just blow it right back into the 20x20ft bay doors.  I am allowed to modify the building internally, but I cannot do any modifications that extend outside the building when the door is shut. This means I cannot put in a chimney. I would appreciate any advice y'all might have.

At one time I had a shop in a rented garage/storage unit.  At the time I had a coal rivet forge.  I would pull it out of the door and had the anvil just inside the door.  The Wyoming wind would often blow the smoke away but sometimes it would blow it back in.  You have a much larger shop area and door than I had.  I suggest that you put a hood on your forge if you don't already have one and put one or 2 pieces of chimney on the hood.  This will take the top of the chimney up to about 8-9'.  Then lower the door to about 6-7' depending on how much you need to clear your head.  That should keep most of the smoke out.

Also, with proper fire management a coal forge should produce very little smoke except, perhaps, when just starting the fire.  You are really burning coke which is created on the edge of the fire by baking the coal.  Or, you could start using coke for a fuel which takes different fire management but is essentially smokeless.  A properly managed coal fire or a coke fire should not smoke up the inside much, particularly if the big door is open.  Or, as many folk have done, acquire or build a propane forge.  Personally, I like forging with a coal or coke forge but I end up using my propane forge more often because it is so convenient.

BTW, it is aways a good idea to have a fire extinguisher nearby and a CO detector if you are running a cola/coke or propane forge inside.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

My forge is pretty much outdoors, but has a roof over it. (pole barn no walls). I have a side draft flue which draws pretty good, but sometimes the wind will blow the smoke back at me, while the flame is going to the flue.  I got a piece of sheet metal to sit on the table to act as a wind block, and the smoke follows the flame. (most of the time ;) )

Is there a window that opens in the shop? If so you can make an insert with a stovepipe jack to draw the smoke outside. 

There are a number of ways to rig a portable stack outside the bay door but to prevent smoke being blown back in the stack needs to be at least 5' above the highest part of the roof within IIRC 30'. Rigging a stack to blow smoke out the top is as easy as buying a 12v. mattress inflator blower and directing it up the inside of the stack. It's outflow will induce a large volume flow in the stack just like a naturally aspirated propane burner. 

The trick is getting the smoke far enough above the roof that wind caused turbulence doesn't bring it back down and in. On the other hand by time it did get back it would be very diluted by fresh air.

Make sense?

Frosty The Lucky.

If by “ingenious”, you mean “cobbled together from what I had on hand, reasonably suited to the task, and utterly inappropriate for a permanent installation”, then sure!

IMG_4789.thumb.jpeg.5d3bb3a2b491174dce4141c7b7c7d00f.jpeg

This was the original configuration, supported by a sawhorse. I later mounted it on a rolling cart, for greater ease of setup and takedown. 

Together with a super-sucker made from a party balloon helium tank, it worked great.