I Forge Iron

Finding Refractory

I cut and pasted this, "Pacific Refractories in Peral City, HI" in my search window and got a whole pageful of hits for Pacific Refractories in Pearl City, HI with several phone numbers and I didn't actually open a link. Maybe you have the grammar / spelling settings set to high on your machine. "Duck Duck Go" my search engine didn't spend a noticeable time looking.

So, try spelling it right and let us know how it works.

Frosty The Lucky.

Arghhhh, I missed that! So much worse than a typo. <sigh>

I did a web search for, "Refractory sales, Maine" and got a bunch of hits from all over the state. He'll need to refine the search on the TELEPHONE. In my experience, trying to contact suppliers through their "Contact" link on a web site is pretty useless unless you wish to buy in quantity, a couple tons or pallets.

Don't waste the receptionist's time telling a story just ask if they carry what you want, if yes, is it on the shelf and how much. If they don't carry it they WILL know who does, ask for the phone number and thank them for their time.

Talking to a human is WAY faster and better than waiting for someone to answer an email that got round filed when they read how much you want. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The sniffer dogs, scanners, and NIK tests the TSA uses at airports are very good at detecting traces of drugs and explosives, and a container of dry refractory mix probably isn't going to set off any alarm bells. At least, not in my own experience....

I highly recommend putting it in something easy to open like tupperware and put that in a zip lock so the TSA inspectors can open it without slitting the bag. Make life easy on them and be a sport. It goes a long way.

You should've seen their looks when I brought Dad's old diving weights as carry on. Tiny little bag that weighed 70lbs. and x-rayed pure white. I was finally able to convince a supervisor what it was and by laying it on the correct side you could see the belt loop in one. I should've spread them out in my checked baggage but they were already about limited on weight, I was bringing home some obsidian and petrified wood. Air freight is your friend. . . sometimes. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Excellent. Now remember we LOVER pictures and want to see your forge and what you make. We won't throw things at you for scenery, we're VERY tolerant folk you know. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Home Depot lists refractory on their site? I see refractory cement, mortar, etc. but not refractory. Rutland is refractory mortar and has a short lifespan in a propane forge. I see Insulwool but can't pin the site down to Home Depot.

Virtually any Home Depot or Lowes are happy to order almost anything you want, I think we're seeing those products showing up in searches.

Home Depot is the only big box building supply close by and I look for stuff when I'm in. Refractory is one of them and have never seen one that'll work in a forge. Same for insulating fire brick though Morgan, K-26 is rapidly replacing the old ones so maybe.

I'd love to have a link to their listing, if you'll PM it to me please. Posting it on the forum is a violation of site rules. I'll be pleased as can be to be wrong! 

Frosty The Lucky.