I Forge Iron

Historical ironwork

Since we do not have a Historical Ironwork topic (hint, hint} and this is not about a blade I will post this here.

This one is a twofer!  Here is a link to an article about a 14th century find in Switzerland of an articulted iron gauntlet AND the remains of a blacksmith shop that was destroyed in the same fire.  It's probably a translation error but what the article calls "pliers" are clearly, in reality, tongs.

https://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/69277/comment-page-1#comment-4256190

IMO pretty cool. 

GNM

My personal opinion is that a historical ironwork topic would get more traffic than some of the more obscure topics are getting at present.  Some of them haven't had a new posting in the last 6 months to 1 year, a few probably longer than that.  I would guess that I post something about archeological iron work about a half dozen times per year plus whatever comments my posts would get and other folk, e.g. Alexandr, periodically post photos of historic window grates, gates, etc. in Europe and other places.  Also, having a dedicated topic may encourage folk to photograph various ironwork exhibits on their travels and post the photos.  And it may be a valuable resource for anyone wanting to replicate or research historical pieces.

Just my 2 small monetary units.

George

Billy, I played with an on line translator and the German word "zange" means either tongs or pliers but "brennschere" and "lockenstab" also translate as "tongs/"  I figure that because German is the most common language in Swizerland that it is the most likely original one for this article.  Maybe someone with a better knowledge of German can clarify.

G

Since we already have topics for "Historic Blades," "Spears, Arrows, Pole Arms, Mace/Hammer, etc" and "Sword Smithing" it seems logical to have similar topics for things that aren't cutty, pokey, or smashey.  Pehaps another way to approach it might be to have various subtopics referring to common things blacksmiths make like jewelry, window grates, stair railings, gates, fire tools, cookery implements, gardening tools, hinges, latches, nails, locks, etc. (historic or contemporary).  That way things can be broken down in a similar manner as weapons.  This seems logical to me.

I do notice that there are a few existing topics which have had only a few posts in the 20+ years of IFI as compared to the much more popular topics, possibley by one or two orders of magnitude.

GNM