I Forge Iron

Great Youtube videos

If you go to Youtube and search on dblacksmithr this person (David Robertson) has set up a series of instructional videos on blacksmithing. Really helpful and worth a look.

Try YouTube - Blacksmith Tools Hold Down For Holding Work on Anvil for his video on hold downs then click on the More From link to get his whole series.

Edited by rmcpb

David Robertson's videos are great. I recommend looking at all of them. Signing up for his email newsletter can also be beneficial.

When I was in Sri Lanka, I visited a blacksmithing village -- one where the entire village was employed (directly or indirectly) in blacksmithing for trade. Every smith there was forging in a sarong, and occasionally a shirt and/or flip-flops. As you say Glenn, personal safety is a personal choice and will often depend upon your circumstances - financial and environmental.

The videos I like the best on youtube are the 5 or 6 part series on the reproduction of a Samuel Yellin gate overseen by Francis Whitaker. It is found very quickly by searching for "ornamental wrought iron". Another one you might enjoy is a brief video of Bea Hensley playing music on the anvil. He is an 86 or 87 year old smith in Western NC who learned from Daniel Boone VI ( Daniel Boone VI was the uncle of Daniel Boone VII who is famous for his dragons. Daniel Boone VII is also the father of Mike Boone whom some of you may have seen demonstrating or in articles in the Anvils Ring. I always find the interconnectedness of this world fascinating.). To find Bea search for "B Hensley". I've seen him play quite a few different songs on his anvil besides just making nonspecific music on it. It is one of those skills I'd love to develop.

David is a great guy, and he has done his videos very well. I took a class with him 3 years ago, and it got me on the road to smithing, he was at quadstate, and yes, he was in shorts and boots, but never did I see him forging that way, of course there was 4 inches of snow on the ground. I recommend signing up for his newsletter, the videos get linked to you when you do and the new ones show up frequently.

Ive welded many times in shorts and a short sleeve shirt(I dont recommend it though) ..After years of it you dont much feel the sparks.. About the only time is when they go in your ear or up your nose :D ..My hands and arms are nothing but one big callus now anyway..If not from the welding/smithing then from the farm work..

Personally I'd rather forge weld buck naked than wearing synthetics.

A little sheen of sweat does wonders for shedding hot stuff where a layer of polyester melts and deep fries your hide.

I don't recommend bare skin at the forge but given that choice. . . Shudder.

Frosty

Ive witnessed some pretty nasty burns not from blacksmithing but from my work. My partner was danceing around yelling to help him get his boot off ! We use silver solder to put cross over tubes in the gas tanks and it hadnt cooled and solidified when he flipped it over to put it on the rack it went right down the side of his boot burned a over a Quarter sized spot off his ankle of course he was wearing shorts at the time. The Green weld ankle lenght apron's came to be worn then