I Forge Iron

Random thought with a question...

Jason L

I got up this morning and decided to finish my anvil stand so I grabbed hammer and chisels to set about carving out an indention to set my anvil in. I don't use chisels much since I don't do mortices or anything like that so my skill level is what you might call low. I grabbed my coffee on the way out and sat down on an old truck tool box that I use as a bench as well as it's intended use. I taped off the top of the stand, traced the outline and set about my task. I ran a line with my chisel all the way around and then, very carefully, started working down towards that line. It was a train wreck. Blowing out end grain everywhere metal touched wood. I slowed down and worked even more carefully. It got worse. At some point in the early stages, when everything was going badly, I decided that since I was intending to put sand into the cavity, it really didn't matter how it looked, the sand would level it out. I threw caution to the wind and just started pushing through as hard and as fast as I could and all of a sudden everything was going perfectly. This leads to my question...

Is there a term for this phenomenon? Does it happen to anyone else? I fight trying to be careful and everything goes wrong but as soon as I give that up and barrel through it like a bull in a china shop, I do some of my best work. There has to be a name or term for this. If not, why have we not come up with one yet?

I’ve had that happen when I get furious at something and attack it with everything I’ve got until I run outta steam and walk away… then I come back I. A day or two and everything comes together perfectly with little effort, im not sure if there’s a name for it other then the universe saying slow down an take walk lol

It is all about how you hold your tongue. 

I have always called it over thinking or trying to hard. Almost like your brain knows what it wants your hands to do but your conscious mind interferes with the connection between your brain and your hand. When you quit thinking about it your brain just makes your hand do what it wants it to do. 

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one this happens to. I think it needs a name. I've also noticed I tend to do my best work when I'm tired. Late at night seems to be when my mind kicks into high gear and I'm able to think more imaginatively so my precision is much better. I think you're right Billy. I think overthinking seems to hurt more than it helps and I think that's exactly what happens to me. It usually works out in the end but it does prevent me from doing things sometimes. Fear of regret is my nemesis.

You might be talking about Flow. I'm not sure if that is what you are experiencing, but the start of your story sure sounds like the exact opposite of Flow. Check it out on the interwebs. Mihaly Csikszentmihaly is the man who wrote about it first. When you drop into Flow, it is a wonderful thing: time stands still, you are super focused, and at ease.

Wirerabbit, you may be on to something there. Once I give up and let the chips fall where they may, it's like everything just falls into place, and yes, it does seem like time stands still and everything else just ceases to exist. The only thing is me and whatever I'm working on. And you are also right about the beginning being the exact opposite of that. It seemed like I fought to control the chisel and every movement I made looked right but turned out wrong. Once I gave up trying to control it and just let it land where it wanted to, it all worked out. My anvil sank into the depression and even though the feet are uneven, it sat perfectly even with no wiggle at all. It even completely muffled anything that might be confused with a ring. I didn't put anything under it because I was just test fitting it and had intended to go deeper and put sand or silicone under it but it was so perfect, I put chains on it and picked the whole thing up by the anvil with no wobble or wiggle at all. The whole thing only weighs about 200# or so so I can still pick it up and move it around. But it's solid as a rock. I'm going to look into this flow thing. I think that's exactly what it sounds like. I've just got to figure out how to summon it at will now so I don't spend half an hour in frustration.

• 2 months later...

A bit off topic but it sure fits the title of Random thought with a question...

As it's Christmas Eve...... I keep hearing that if you have been naughty Santa will give you a lump of coal.

I am assuming that there are many on here that would be trying to be extra naughty so they get an extra big lump of coal for Christmas.

How naughty would I have to be to get a years supply of coal for a forge?

If I buy a new power hammer without asking my wife I'm sure I would be deep in the bad books and then Santa would give me loads of coal. A win win situation!

Have a happy & safe Christmas 

This may veer into theological discussions which are prohibited by the IFI Terms of Service.  So many questions.  How bad do you have to be to get a good grade of coal?  What degree of badness gets you bad coal?  Where does coke fit in?  What does it mean if you get large lumps of coal that have to be split up before you can use them in a forge?  How many blacksmiths can forge on the head of a pin?

Anyway, Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy Winter Solstice timed holiday of your choice!

George

For regular folks a lump of coal is punishment, a naughty blacksmith would probably get his/er coal supply cut off or bought by the competition. 

I get coal in my stocking every Christmas and they stopped being lumps years ago. Now I get carvings in coal, some pretty cool, some silly and some rather naughty.

Frosty The Lucky.