I Forge Iron

Repurpose Air Hammer Chisels????

I run across a lot of old air hammer chisels and they're usually pretty cheap.

Google gives some examples of types of steel in them: chromium molybdenum, s-grade tool steels, and others.

I don't see any threads on forums though of people repurposing them in a blacksmith shop.

Are any of you using them as a steel stock; what are you making with them; what treatment processes are you employing; etc.??

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm no authority on jack hammers and their chisels so I can't ask the question in that detail. They pretty much all look about the same to me. 1 1/8" suggests "jack" hammer. I've been looking at the smaller chisels one might buy at Lowe's for a small to medium contractors air hammer.

Here's an example (or smaller). I'm not looking at 'specialty' equipment.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 6.41.29 AM.png

Glenn Horr was a demonstrator at the Missouri blacksmithing conference this year. He had reshaped pneumatic air tool bits into various punches and fullers. He still used them in the air gun. Made quick work of animal faces! 

The Horr video was interesting. Definitely 180 degrees from where I was taking this but glad to find a new technique. I have that type of hammer; just never thought to use it forging. :-)

My question focus is what is the 'steel' used to make those chisels good for repurposed to for other uses like chisels, punches, cutoffs, etc.

The vast majority are a medium carbon moderate alloy. The S-7 bits are rare and usually intended for cutting or breaking very hard materials say HC steel.

To know for sure what you had you'd probably have to buy new as specified from the manufacturer.

Frosty The Lucky.

I think it was Glen Horr who demonstrated this technique at Quad-State a few years back. Whoever it was, I dozed off during the demo (combination of sleep disorder, full belly from lunch, and sitting in the warmth of the forge) until the rattle of the air hammer startled me awake. That was embarrassing....

21 hours ago, stickermigtigger said:

My question focus is what is the 'steel' used to make those chisels good for repurposed to for other uses like chisels, punches, cutoffs, etc.

Generally, it's better to select the steel to match the job than it is to find a job to use the steel. In other words, rather than saying, "What can I make with this?", ask yourself, "I want to make X; what steel do I have or can get that would be appropriate for X?" Picking something whose current use indicates the properties -- in this case, toughness and shock resistance -- that are close to your intended use will rarely steer you wrong. Just keep in mind that used steels that have been subjected to load may no longer be entirely structurally sound.