I Forge Iron

A man made emergency 78 years later...

Trinity Nuclear Test’s Fallout Reached 46 States, Canada and Mexico, Study Finds

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trinity-nuclear-test-fallout-reached-173809344.html

Makes me wonder how many of us have been exposed and affected. I was 3 years old when the tests were conducted. My parents moved us from Ohio to S. Florida 2 years after that and never told me why.

So many of my friends and acquaintances, myself included, have developed cancer and other life threatening conditions with no explanation as to why.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails.

I'm not a historic meteorologist but I do have military experience and training about fallout, etc..  I'm not particularly surprised by most of this this study but some of the findings, e.g. Trinity deposition in Wyoming, were unexpected.  As far as the effects on folk downwind it is had to distinguish the results of the Trinity test from all the subsequent above ground tests in Nevada, the Pacific, and the tests conducted by the Soviets, British, French, etc..  I think that everyone born before the end of atmospheric testing in 1963 has been exposed to one degree or another.  And it is tough to assign any particular cause to our various medical conditions given that there could be so many causation factors like smoking, food additives, air pollution (old coal plants [ prior to scrubbers] put out a fair amout of radioactive junk too because of impurities in the coal), etc..  For example, I don't know whether my Type 2 diabetes is the result of exposure to residual Agent Orange in Viet Nam, genetics (my father was a Type 2 diabetic), or something else.  And we have know idea about what causes multiple myeloma blood cancer which took my late wife, Martha (who, BTW, grew up in Honolulu which is outside of most of the fallout areas from nuclear tests).

George

There is tracking data on every release of radiological "fallout" ever, even some ancient ones. I'm sure the maps and such are available online I'm not going to search though. I'm glad no civilized nation does above ground testing or heck any nuclear testing anymore. We just don't need more dirt in the air. How far has the fallout spread? Everywhere. The most recent case to come to public attention was the Fukushima melt down though the Chernobyl melt down was WAY dirtier and longer lasting. Radio nucleotides were being detected in Anchorage Ak. in something like 2 weeks and can be detected everywhere else, IIRC even Antarctica. (I still think we should be filtering and refining the tritium from the water flushing through the Fukushima reactor building, it's being carried everywhere in the N hemisphere and will make it south eventually. Not to keep a non-toxic but radioactive element out of our environment but because it's the #1 fuel for fusion reactors and stupid crazy expensive to "mine."

Every volcanic vent releases above background and an eruption very much so let alone an explosive one. Every thing is radioactive, every darned thing. We evolved and have lived bathed in radiation since the dawn of creation, we only learned to measure it and expose ourselves to crazy high doses a hundred years or so ago.

Want to really scare yourself in a not over reacting worry wart sort of way? Take a Geiger counter down wind of a coal fired power plant or hang a dosimeter and check back in a couple weeks. The tailings piles!?:o 

On a last note I want to thank you for getting me started on this subject so early in my morning. Now I'll be thinking about it all day long and it's going to be another sunny HOT for Wasilla, Ak. day. <sigh> Oh yes, thank you VERY MUCH!:lol:

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm not sure how to express the strength of my refusal to get anywhere near Phoenix except the dead of winter. . . MAYBE. My older Brother used to live in Scottsdale and I visited a few days before Christmas one year. We drove from there to the Folk's place together for the holiday. I checked out the local historical blacksmith's shop and enjoyed the hot weather. I wore shorts, tank top and extra antiperspirant the whole time. I finally had to start wearing an Alaska t shirt or cap because people (wearing winter clothes) kept staring and asking if I felt okay. 

Don't get me wrong I live for the LOOK but not EVERYBODY! Seriously groups would stare and mutter to each other. look concerned or worried enough to ask if I needed help. (white coats and butterfly nets type help I'm sure)

I was soooo happy to hit the road west into the high Sierras where highs were in the low 20s and fit for human habitation! 

So yes, GLAD I'm not in Phoenix hardly covers my gratitude!

Frosty The Lucky.

What struck home to me was Thomas talking about being close to the Trinity site and reading this in the article.

The study also found that Socorro County — where the Trinity test took place — has the fifth highest deposition per county of all counties in the United States.

Couldn't help but wonder about his medical conditions and passing.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails.

Now you're going to have me searching cancer and background radiation statistics in the areas because you teased my curious bug. Dang it Randy, this isn't a simple question, there are all kinds of factors!

I'm going to have to think of a way to get even. 

Frosty The Lucky.

DANG! The edit button is still offline. It must be a bigger can of worms than I thought.

Anyway, this is the fallout map from the Plumbob tests cir 1957. Interestingly enough NM seems to have received a lot less than I expected.

Fall out from the 1945 Trinity test reached 46 states. Current radiation levels are "low" only 10x normal background for the area.

I remember an iodine tablet included with the morning vitamins when I was a kid.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pbscd.gif

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/23/2023 at 10:51 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Trinity site

I haven't seen it yet, but it's coincidental you mentioning this and the movie "Oppenheimer" coming out.  

On 7/23/2023 at 1:13 PM, Frosty said:

There is tracking data on every release of radiological "fallout" ever, even some ancient ones. I'm sure the maps and such are available online I'm not going to search though.

I wonder who does this tracking and studies and who funds it?  I don't have time to dig into that either. 

Unfortunately there are quite a few other types of manmade disasters brewing in the background that don't get any attention.  They are just starting to rear their ugly head.  I'd list some but it's a depressing subject.  Chicken little, don't you know.

Most don't know of the Rulison Project. How stupid can you get, to use a nuke to free shale oil and natural gas for energy use, and not even think it would be radioactive. I went by there a year or so ago and the radioactive warnings are still there. Wonder how that affected the water table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Rulison

On 7/24/2023 at 11:14 AM, Frosty said:

Fall out from the 1945 Trinity test reached 46 states. Current radiation levels

feel free to fact check: 

You should read up on the natives who were on the land and had to evacuate within 24 hours.  forced them to evacuate.  Shot their cattle in the head, etc. Land rich but no real money.  Several were at a site about 30 miles away during the test.  19 of the 23 babies in the group died of the same cancer which was from the fallout raining off in that direction.  Because of course no one told them about fallout or wind patterns.   Gets uglier the deeper you read.  

No idea what any if the residuals are still around causing problems, but the initial blasts and fallout were really bad.