I Forge Iron

Plug Welds on Doyle/Harbor Freight Steel Anvil

Does anyone know if the Vevor anvils have plug welds on the face like some of the HF Doyle anvils?  Bought a Doyle (first anvil), used once and already one of the plug welds id popping up and can see a couple more now after a good clean. Thinking returning it and getting a Vevor. Noob I know…….B)

I have had a Hay Budden for about 10 years that I treasure very much.  To that end, after EVERY forging I give it a quick wipe with a dry rag, then a quick swiping spray of WD-40.  That fights off any moisture and after 10 years, there has never been so much as a spot of rust anywhere on it.  A quick wipe with a dry cloth or paper towel before forging clears off any WD left behind.  That may seem to be overkill to some, but it's my way of preserving the old girl for many years to come.

Avmech - Wow! Could you snap and post a pic of that? It would be good info for others contemplating a purchase. Welds on the face are not something I’d want either

My Vevor hasn’t shown any such signs. I did use it quite a bit before my surgery and do have some rust on it but the boiled linseed oil does good.  One of the nice things about a cheep, decent anvil is that you don’t feel you have to baby it. I would recommend something like the Vevor to anyone starting out. 

Odd pattern.  The only genisis that I can think of is that there was a casting flaw which was drilled out and the drill hole filled by welding wich is now detaching.

This is the first seriously negative issue I have heard about Vevor anvils.  Too bad.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The pinholes are definitely a bad sign and the circular fracture looks worse. I can think of a couple possible causes, none good.

I'd call it a bad day at the foundry missed by the new inspector.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, George N. M. said:

This is the first seriously negative issue I have heard about Vevor anvils.  Too bad.

Just a reminder: Avmech is talking about a Doyle (Harbor Freight) anvil, not a Vevor.

Correct JHCC, thank you. I do want to check some others but stores in my immediate area are out of stock. 

Frosty, kind of my thinking. Still fairly new, maybe HF is having some growing pains in the manufacturing process for this design. Not knocking HF, I like the design

I recently picked one up as a cheap, light, anvil to take to hammer-ins.  Now I'll have to inspect it more carefully.  Looked OK when I unboxed it, but I didn't study it in detail under good lighting.  I'll be pretty disappointed if it has the same defects.

Avmech - Thanks for the pics. I wonder what it would look like to do a light acid etch. It might really help you make a case to HF, although admittedly, what you have convinces me. Still, if there are other areas with GOOD repairs (not that that would make it acceptable) it would show them up better.

Pinholes and welds are visible without doing anything. Plan was to look into exchanging but as mentioned out of the 3 stores near me none have any so will return it. Still inside of 90 days so should be no issue to return

I wouldn't do anything to the anvil.  You have nothing to prove...the flaws are obvious.  Simply take it back with the flaws marked and get a refund.  HF is usually good about honoring bad purchases.  Spend your money on something of better quality.

Someone did a YouTube review of this anvil and noted that theirs had the same kind of surface flaws. When I checked one out at my local HF, I could see that the display model had them too. I think if I were buying one, I'd point that out and ask to inspect all the ones they have in stock before committing to the purchase.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:28 PM, Avmech said:

Still fairly new, maybe HF is having some growing pains in the manufacturing process for this design. Not knocking HF, I like the design

Same, and I hope they can get this sorted out. It's a decent design and a good price, and I'd seriously consider one as a travel/demo/student anvil if the welds weren't an issue.

You know, I looked at the one I have and I can just about see some artifacts that look like they may be from small fill welds.  I think I'll still keep it and see how it performs.  I've worked on some anvils in the past with minor plug welds, and never really noticed any problems.  I've been wanting to try a double horn for a while, and where else can you get one for $150?

Quick update: one of my local stores got 3 in. Went there, they had no problem with me opening the box, cutting the plastic, wiping down the face to look before doing the paperwork.  First one had issues, second one has a tiny spot at the very tip of the tail which is a non issue for me. No questions asked, zero hassle. Will run this until I feel the need for something bigger. Thumbs up to HF for doing it right by me. 

Let you all know how it goes. Thank you. 

All that being said, whereas if welds showed cracked edges or porosity to me is an indication of mixed alloys on the surface of the anvil. If I had one of those and was not able to get a refund or find a replacement that was decent, I might be tempted to get some hard-surface rods and put an entire new layer on the top, Then grind a new face on it. Who knows? You might end up with something really good. Hard surface rods are really expensive nowadays, though.

Wonder how long it will be before HB cancels this item. Saw a video of Alec Steele speaking of his move from Montana back to England. Talking about products he sells. Brought up the anvil he was promoting and selling was no longer available. Foundry couldn't make it  economical, had something like a 20% rejection rate.

That's not exactly apples and oranges, but perhaps more like apples and crabapples. Alec was selling a high-quality, high-cost item made in the USA in small quantities for a specialty market, whereas the HF is a (shall we say) less-than-premium-quality item manufactured at low cost and in high volumes for a much less discerning customer base. (HF, it must be noted, also has an extremely effective distribution network that helps keep the cost down, since the purchaser usually doesn't have to pay additional shipping.) We've already seen how successful the Accaio/Vevor/etc anvils have been in recent years; that is HF's competition, not Alec.

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

That's not exactly apples and oranges, but perhaps more like apples and crabapples. 

I was not comparing the quality of the anvils. There is no comparison. It was more  the foundry's, and how they deal with issues. The one in China obviously has lower standards.